Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... on my iMac DV/400 MHz/640 MB... (after 2 hours, 10 minutes... yesh!)

Speed increases are not noticable in most applications; the only speed increase I see is within the Finder, selecting menu items, etc, and switching between applications - otherwise, items take just as long to open, etc. My system is faster overall, but not "Holy crap dude, this is way faster!" like so many here have said.

I like Panther...hmm, it's very nice, especially the new interface.. but big speed increases certainly does vary from machine to machine!

EDIT: What I noticed instantly, is that logging-in is painfully slow and sluggish, and fast-user switching is slow as well... and alas, since my video card is only 8 MB in size, fast-user switching doesn't make the rotating 3D affect - instead the screen goes completely blue, and then suddenly the other users' Finder appears... :confused:

[ November 02, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Registered
693 Posts
hmm...I have noticed the same thing. No major speed increases, but whatever. I also have noticed that I don't get the 3D rotating effect on FUS either...but I have a 32mb card...so I don't understand...hmm

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts
I notice that the first time I switch to the other user, I just get the blue screen but if I switch back and forth again, the 3D rotating effect kicks in. My startup is a lot faster too. It used to be that the rotating circle made 38 revs on startup (how bored was I?) but now it only does 14 revolutions.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Well.. interesting thread... I found the speed difference on my G4 400 to be significant enough to mention.. I hate the new Finder.. but besides that things have been smooth for me.. the upgrade went extremely well with no real big bugs.

I've reconfigured all my Apacher webserver setting and turn PHP back on.. now onto setting up all the other services...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It took me a half hour to install Panther on my machine. And it was faster (not a crazy difference, but noticeable).

RtC - Have you tried pressing the "pill" button? It makes the Finder windows Aqua style and act exactly like OS 9 spatial finder windows instead of the more NEXTy browser window.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've noticed a speed increase on both my G5 1.6GHz and PowerBook 1.25GHz. Of course, Jaguar was pretty fast on both machines in the first place; Panther just makes it that much snappier.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
If you have it (and you should), try running DiskWarrior. Folks with 400MHz G4s are reporting nice speed bumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts