Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Works great - exactly as you'd expect. It's big... but not too big. Feels like using a 27" MacBook now when I use my 27" iMac. I like it much better than the Magic Mouse.

Some Pics (click on the thumbnails for bigger ones...)

The Box it came in:

Compared to the BT Keyboard and Magic Mouse:

The Image I really wanted to see in reviews, but never did - it on top of the BT Keyboard for exact sizing... It's almost 1/2. I'd say like 2/5ths?

And the mighty mouse on top of it - again for sizing:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Me too. Seems to work well.

I'll have to give it a real try out later when processing pictures.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Works great - exactly as you'd expect. It's big... but not too big. Feels like using a 27" MacBook now when I use my 27" iMac. I like it much better than the Magic Mouse.
Care to elaborate? In what specific ways does it have an advantage over the Magic Mouse?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I can not wait to get to an Apple store to try one of these, I am sure it will end up on my wish list., I was impressed with the magic mouse but it was not worth the US$70 to me.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Care to elaborate? In what specific ways does it have an advantage over the Magic Mouse?
Quick answer:

Versus Magic Mouse's, what... 3 or 4 gestures? I missed activating Expose on the Magic Mouse - and the three-finger drag is something that I completely have fallen in love with. I spend a lot of time on my laptop and now I get the same experience with my desktop.

I also read in Macworld's review that if you have a Large screen the Trackpad may not be for you... but I say the opposite. You can flick your finger on the trackpad, and end up on the other side of the screen. With the Magic Mouse, I had to pick it up 2-3 times to fully pull the cursor from one side of the 27" iMac to the other.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ARS has a decent review up too:

Magic Trackpad or tragic Mac pad? A review

Though it ends with a "no-one really needs this..." the points are good, such as:

"I find myself splitting my time between a 27" iMac and a 13" MacBook Pro... I use a Magic Mouse and the multitouch trackpad that is built into my MacBook Pro. I constantly find myself trying to perform multitouch gestures—ones that only work on Apple's trackpad—on the mouse, and find myself regularly wishing for a better input device on my desktop."

I'm in the same boat (though on a 15" MBP ;) ) and I love being able to Multi-Touch on my desktop now. I got a Magic Mouse at launch and I've loved it less and less the more I used it. I tried Better Touch Tool and Magic Prefs with varying degrees of success. Magic Trackpad has it all for me. If I want to do hardcore script/text editing, for sure I'll still use a regular mouse (logitech Bluetooth FTW!), but for day to day, the Magic Trackpad now has my business ;)

G

·
I've been waiting for one of these for years. I got mine today and so far I'm very happy with it. It's a bit big, but I can get used to it I think :) I much prefer this to a magic mouse as well ... the MM is too small for my liking (as in too thin, not tall enough for my big hands).

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
one thing that i would like to see is a USB version of the magic trackpad.

Besides aesthetics, i don't see any benefit to it being bluetooth.

I just hate replacing batteries. always happens at the worst time.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one thing that i would like to see is a USB version of the magic trackpad.

Besides aesthetics, i don't see any benefit to it being bluetooth.

I just hate replacing batteries. always happens at the worst time.
Agreed. That's why Apple wants you to buy their $29 Battery Charger. ;) Their advice: two in the keyboard, two in the trackpad and two charging at all times.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Quick answer:

I also read in Macworld's review that if you have a Large screen the Trackpad may not be for you... but I say the opposite. You can flick your finger on the trackpad, and end up on the other side of the screen. With the Magic Mouse, I had to pick it up 2-3 times to fully pull the cursor from one side of the 27" iMac to the other.
I have dual 24" screens and it seemed to be fine. I only got to play for a few minutes so far.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Quick answer:

Versus Magic Mouse's, what... 3 or 4 gestures?
I missed activating Expose on the Magic Mouse - and the three-finger drag is something that I completely have fallen in love with. I spend a lot of time on my laptop and now I get the same experience with my desktop.

BetterTouchTool
gives you more than that.

I have 2 x 24" monitors and I can get from the left side monitor 1 to the right side of monitor 2 and back again (over and over... I just did it) with just one wrist movement, without any strain easily.

You may want to take a look at your tracking setting in the System Preferences. Mine are set all the way to the right to Fast... I am going almost twice the distance without having to lift up the MM once.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I must say that I quite the like the Trackpad. My mouse just died and it has been a decent replacement thus far.

G

·
The Macworld reviewer is out to lunch then, I have 5 screens (6th is currently being repaired) 30, 2x24, 2x17 and I have no troubles at all getting the pointer where I want. Between the magic trackpad and my faithful Logitech Trackman trackball I'm covered.

After using it for another few hours last night I'm very happy with it.

·
Archetype
861 Posts
This thing is really solid. It weighs 190g with batteries, just over 1/2 the weight of the Apple wireless keyboard (370g w batteries). The profile and size matches the wireless keyboard, so if you put the trackpad at the end of the keyboard, they fit, although the bottom edge of the trackpad is slightly raised to the keyboard (due to the 'click' space .
Trackpad is just under half the width of the wireless keyboard. If you are trying to visualize how wide the trackpad is- holding the trackpad over the keyboard, from the right edge of the keyboard, the trackpad width covers to half of the 'n' key of the keyboard. The trackpad has a slightly different colouring to the wireless keyboard.

I should have checked this first, but Inklet/Pogo does not currently work with the Magic Trackpad. TenOne is working on a software update for Inklet, hopefully available some time next week. This will be fantastic- wireless sketch pad!

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

BetterTouchTool
gives you more than that.

I have 2 x 24" monitors and I can get from the left side monitor 1 to the right side of monitor 2 and back again (over and over... I just did it) with just one wrist movement, without any strain easily.

You may want to take a look at your tracking setting in the System Preferences. Mine are set all the way to the right to Fast... I am going almost twice the distance without having to lift up the MM once.
I've played with Better touch Tool and never had it go to my liking. I've had it set to trigger Expose with three fingers, etc... and it was always a bit janky IMHO.

I've also set the Magic Mouse to track faster - and I wasn't unimpressed by it, but I'm editing scripts and text and I need a bit more precision than one flick of the mouse taking me to the other side. With the Trackpad I get slow movement with a finger drag or fast movement with a finger flick. Best of Both worlds for my use.

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
I called Carbon Computing today 4 times and no one answered. :( Maybe tomorrow.
Must have been busy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I may have a use for the Magic Trackpad because I use a mouse in the left hand, but for some reason when it comes to a trackpad I use the right hand.

It might make a good combo.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
I've played with Better touch Tool and never had it go to my liking. I've had it set to trigger Expose with three fingers, etc... and it was always a bit janky IMHO.

I've also set the Magic Mouse to track faster - and I wasn't unimpressed by it, but I'm editing scripts and text and I need a bit more precision than one flick of the mouse taking me to the other side. With the Trackpad I get slow movement with a finger drag or fast movement with a finger flick. Best of Both worlds for my use.
Glad that you like it so much and it suits your needs so well... Generally I have a bias toward track pads, i.e., I hate them. :D

But maybe I will go to an Apple store and try this one out... see if my opinion changes. :)

G

·
Glad that you like it so much and it suits your needs so well... Generally I have a bias toward track pads, i.e., I hate them. :D

But maybe I will go to an Apple store and try this one out... see if my opinion changes. :)
Yep trackpads are one of those things you like or hate.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts