Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting patiently for about 5 months to get my first mac. Just last friday i picked up a discounted 12.1 ibook g3 900mhz combo drive. I know I know.. the G4's just came out for the ibook... it bothered me like crazy. but there was no way i could wait any longer since i needed it for school and i got it for $1179 which is a great discount. It could of been worse. I could of bought it a week earlier at full price then find out I got screwwed a few days later.

I wanna say that OSX is really solid! And the more and more i use and get used to the mac format the more i love it. everything is simple, smooth and seamless. I don't think I'll ever be going back to Windows.

My only concern is the fact that i got a g3 at the end of its production life... and i've got 2 dead pixels ALREADYY!!!

But over all i'm loving it and I have been converted forever!

now to get all my friends and family to convert...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Why not bring it back and complain about both. Ask if you can trade up. You never know until you try. You might get a better deal than you think. I just traded a two year old 500 Mhz iBook I bought for $1400 and got $900 for it on my new Powerbook G4 12.1" with Superdrive. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I always say.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. but i bought it discounted for the reason that the g4 was just announced and a spoke to the store(university computer store) about the dead pixels and they told me its a matter of apple and their warrenty. In order to get anything done about the dead pixels I have to have atleast 7 or 8 dead pixels in order for apple to do anything about it.

but i wanted to ask if any one knows if the three year apple care program would cover me on two dead pixels?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the pixels don't bother me too much.. i can live with em...

on another note... can anyone recomend a good newbie book for learning the ins and outs of osx?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Anything by David Pogue is enjoyable but hang around here is best. Interactive book, cheap too :D :cool:

You know it's the absolute norm for Mac users/owners that ALL of their manuals remain sealed until the poor old beasty hits the recycle bin. Dive in, water's fine. ;)

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
If you absolutely HAVE to buy a book, try the "OSX for dummies". It's cheap and cuts right to the chase.

But you don't really need one. Play around and you'll find it's all pretty straightforward.

Macs are easy to use. This is a basic truth. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Mac OS X: The Missing Manual by David Pogue, and published by Pogue Press/O'Reilly.

Mac OS X Hints the Book by Rob Griffiths, and also published by Pogue Press/O'Reilly.

MacOSXHints.com also has lots of tips and pointers as well.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
on another note... can anyone recomend a good newbie book for learning the ins and outs of osx?
Book? Just play around and everything will click in about 15 mintues. Or just bug the residents on this board. I'm sure they'd be glad to help.
;)

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You can try massaging the dead pixels out...whether or not it works is another question. As far as I know it doesn't hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
If you have high speed internet and join Apple's .Mac service, they also provide some pretty good Mac OS X video tutorials that you can view online that are a real good primer. Currently, they're just on Mac OS 10.2 but should be updated for Panther shortly.

Also, just a friendly newbie correction... They're Macs, not MACS. :D ;) Not a big deal at all, but usually when you spell it MAC, you're referring to the acronym "Medium Access Control" or your ethernet card's MAC address, which is your ethernet cards unique ID. Again, no big deal...
Its not as bad as spelling iMac like IMAC. Just one of many totally useless but interesting tips you'll get here. (You'll get lots of usefull stuff too!)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
but usually when you spell it MAC, you're referring to the acronym "Medium Access Control"
I thought it was "Media Access Control?"

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
> Also, just a friendly newbie correction... They're Macs, not MACS.

And, Mac OS X is a roman numeral 10; not an "X", as in "XP". I was surprised to hear a veteran Mac usering forum member I met in person recently refer to it as "OS-EX"; not "OS-Ten". :confused:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
And, Mac OS X is a roman numeral 10; not an "X", as in "XP". I was surprised to hear a veteran Mac usering forum member I met in person recently refer to it as "OS-EX"; not "OS-Ten".
Does it really matter? Heh. I always say it "OS-EX" when I talk about it out loud, too.

MAC and IMAC are just really annoying to read.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Er... how can reading MAC and IMAC be a legitimate annoyance to you, yet hearing someone say "Oh ess EX" should not matter to me?

I'll tell ya why I hate "oh ess EX"; because it supports the identity or phenomena of Windows EX-Pee. It sounds like an optional Windows OS, or at the very least, would make a Windows user think about XP. It's acknowledging M$'s shadow. That's what i think, anyway. It very much irritates me. Plus, it sounds like the person who speaks it is not really fluent in Mac OS -- which is odd in the case of the Forum member I met, recently. He definitely knows his stuff, yet pronounces it "ex".

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'll tell ya why I hate "oh ess EX"; because it supports the identity or phenomena of Windows EX-Pee.
How can it support Windows XP when the word "Mac OS" comes just before "X?" Secondly, why would anyone think that 'Mac OS X' is related to Windows XP with the word 'Mac' in it?

It sounds like an optional Windows OS, or at the very least, would make a Windows user think about XP. It's acknowledging M$'s shadow. That's what i think, anyway.
The original Mac OS X came out before Windows XP did, so if any company is copying the other, it's Microsoft copying Apple with the 'X' in the name. :D To me, the 'X' in Windows XP is acknowledging Apple's shadow. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts