Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man this is the sweetest piece of electronics I have ever seen. So far I've only tested out Ureal Tournament 2003 (when you turn all the settings to highest a voice says "holy sh*t"). I'll be loading FCP4, Photoshop, and all my other stuff on it, tonight.

Going from an iBook to a dual G5 is like going from a Lada to a Porsche. Man all I can say is if you have the means I highly recommend one.

Thanks to the guys at Carbon for the good service.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Damn you are lucky. That should last you the next few years without a hitch. How much RAM?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ordering a couple of 512MB sticks from Crucial which will put me up to 1.5GB of RAM.

the 512 from Crucial are about 99.00 USD so it wont cost much. I figure i'll upgrade to a raid in a little whle.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I'm tickled pink right along with you Goob (can I call you that?)
I also got my extra RAM (2 Gbs total now) from Crucial. Good RAM, reputable company, and amazingly fast delivery. It's nice to see a US company with a web site that caters to Canadian orders.

I've had some funny moments with this G5. Like when I transferred a one hour video file to mpeg format. It happened so fast that I did it twice because I couldn't believe it had worked properly the first time. That made me laugh. Most everything is "right now" on these dual G5's.

Enjoy!

-Howie

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm saving my pennies!
If you guys keep gushing, I won't be able to sleep nights until I have one too ;)
My QS733's days will soom be numbered. :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey GWillikers,

Did you get dinged from Customs or the courier when the memory came across the border? I am thinking of getting RAM from the States but do not want to get nailed by Custom fees. The reason is there is no 1 GB available for the Powerbooks in Canada yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought Crucial Ram when I lived in the UK and it was fast and cheap.

I'm also wondering about Canada customs.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Yup, I got dinged around 44 bucks for Customs fees on two 512 DIMMs. The courier collects at your door.

I can be a real bargain hunter on some things, but when it comes to RAM I go with the tried and true. It does cost more though. If you've ever gone through troubleshooting memory problems, and/or had to do an RMA for RAM modules, the extra cost is worth it.

-Howie

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
My QS733's days will soom be numbered.
My QS DP800's days are already numbered. If I didn't have a pile of bills from moving, I would have bought a G5 DP2.0 already. I'm looking at waiting another 4 months or so. I'll buy a G5 DP in February or March.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Welcome to the club!!!

Nice machine eh?
I love mine, the speed is fantastic.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Well, I brought home my stock Dual G5 last Thursday. Have I used it yet? Nope. My 20" Apple Cinema Display and speakers are on back order. There sits my G5, all cool and snug in its box.

I've taken it out a couple of times, though. What a solid and intriguing piece of engineering. Such beautiful fit & finish (I never thought I'd say that about a computer, but there ya go). It's pretty dang heavy, but I'll put up with the weight. I knew I wasn't getting a Powerbook.

Anyway, I'll check with the computer store tomorrow, hoping that they'll at least be able to give me an ETA on the display & speakers. I wanna play with my G5.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Doug - how come you have 6 grand sitting around for G5's and displays? :D

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I won't give you all the boring details, but tally-ho! last week was a good one. I won't be able to make another outrageous purchase like this again anytime soon, mind you, but that doesn't matter. I know my G5 & Cinema Display will keep me happy for a long time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have any of you guys tried turning off the processor idling in CHUD tools on your G5? Apparently it makes it even zippier than it already is.

there's a discussion about it on XLR8 it also gets rid of a chirping noise that some people have heard on their machines (I think it's mostly Duals with the ATI 9800)

Anyway I'll probably give it a go whe I feel that my machine is getting sluggish, which probably wont be for a long while.

link to article:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_noise_tips.html#storytop

1 - 15 of 15 Posts