Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know people are probably tired of seeing new (aluminum) iMac threads so I thought i'd "think different" and buy something else :)

I just recently picked up a steal of a deal on a used G4 iMac in pristine condition. I just couldn't pass up on it: 17" screen, 1.25 GHz, 768 Ram and 80GB HD. Even comes with the HK spherical speakers.

The only thing missing is the wireless. I've been tempted to purchase the airport extreme card and install it into the iMac, but i've also thought about another option which is to purchase an airport express (with airtunes) and connect to it via ethernet cable.

I kinda feel that since the machine is older technology, i'd rather not put in more money into it, so purchasing the airport express would allow me to make use of it elsewhere even if one day i decided to sell the iMac. But with the airport extreme card, that's pretty much stuck in the machine, and probably won't be used anywhere else.

I'd like to hear some opinions about what other people think.
These are the only two options i'm considering; i don't think i'd consider 3rd party wireless options.

Thanks, and your opinions are appreciated :D
Will post pics once I've got everything setup.
(right now i'm posting from my iMac, bridging the ethernet/wireless connection, temporarily)

edit :: here are a couple photos (beware of size) of my setup with G4 iMac (while my Macbook is in for repairs; good timing?)

photo1
photo2
photo3

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice. I love the look and functionality of that design. If you upgrade to Leopard when it comes out you might want to take the RAM to 1 GB.
the system has 256mb built-in, and the user accessible slot already has 512mb. does anyone know how "user unaccessible" is the built-in stick's location? although 256mb of ram these days doesn't sound like much, is that exra 256mb going to help all that much when running leopard? it just seems to me that all that effort to get to that hard to reach slot may not justify the gain :p

the system was running Panther on it originally, but i have since installed Tiger, and it surprisingly runs very nicely.

how much of a steal?
let's just say .. well below $500 : )
it's quite a steal considering how much people here and on craigslist are asking for them. I see people asking in the neighborhood of $700-850 for 17" G4 800 models. Just search G4 iMac :)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
apple.ca has refurbed Airport Extreme cards for $35 -- that's a pretty cheap upgrade for integrated wireless. Problem is that apple.ca doesn't have free shipping until $75, so you'll either have to pay, or have to find something else at the store you like ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd grab a G4 imac in a heartbeat if it was cheap enough!! :( :( :(

That's the kind of thing I need to make the "big switch".
You just need to keep your eyes peeled, check around the classifieds religously ... every day .... :D

apple.ca has refurbed Airport Extreme cards for $35 -- that's a pretty cheap upgrade for integrated wireless. Problem is that apple.ca doesn't have free shipping until $75, so you'll either have to pay, or have to find something else at the store you like ;)
wow .. i didn't realize that, all i do on the refurb page is look at their systems, i've never scrolled down that far to see their other "accessories".

the airport express with airtunes will give me free shipping by itself, but i think i'm leaning towards the extreme card tho. I might wanna pick up the apple wireless mighty mouse, if someone wants to buy my Logitech MX5000 bluetooth laser mouse :) (it's the MX1000 mouse that's got bluetooth, that was part of the MX5000 desktop combo set; mint and comes with the charging cradle, if anyone is interested)

edit: strange .. the refurbed and new mighty mouse are both showing up at $69 for me ...... ???? and the new one i can get for $62 with a student discount .. (since educational discounts aren't applied to refurbed products, it's an even better deal to buy it new! haha)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
edit: strange .. the refurbed and new mighty mouse are both showing up at $69 for me ...... ???? and the new one i can get for $62 with a student discount .. (since educational discounts aren't applied to refurbed products, it's an even better deal to buy it new! haha)
LOL... I guess when Apple dropped the pirces to match the higher CDN $$, they didn't drop the refurb prices. That's been known to happen before. ;)

And, at the risk of getting flamed again for bringing it up -- I would recommend the Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse over the Wireless Mighty Mouse. -- It's available at most stores, but as far as I know, the best price is $20 Refurb at Canada Computers.

But if you already have the revolution Bluetooth, why would you get the Mighty Mouse bluetooth??

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
The G4 is quite a nice machine. I think the second SDRAM can be replaced by someone who had some technical ability, and their are various How-To's that you can Google up. I don't think that having 1GB is so very important however.

And if I recall, the G4 uses the older Airport card, not the Airport Extreme. In that case, I would suggest another solution like a Linksys Wireless Router; or perhaps an external Airport Extreme connected to the Ethernet port.

Again, they are a very nice machine and should hold up quite well. I have a G3 (the last of the G3's), and I still have not run into any limitations, though I still run Panther because of some of the software I use.

And I'd have to agree with the message above; the Logitech mouse is quite a nice mouse and makes a great replacement. I do not like wireless mice, too much hassles and issues - but I really do like the Logitech Marble Mouse trackball I now use on my main system. But then I like the Pro Mouse as well - but it is scorffing the top of my oak desk - which a trackball doesn't do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find the MX5000 bluetooth mouse I have to be a little big for my hands so i'm looking to go back to a smaller one. I used to have the wired mighty mouse and thought it was fine. Currently, i'm using the apple wireless mouse (not mighty) and i'm really missing the scrollwheel (i don't mind not having the right click). With all that said, i think I can avoid the problems the mighty mouse has with the right click if i just turn the right click off; hopefully the scrollball will hold up though :)

as for the airport card, apparently, apple states that any 1GHz or faster G4 uses the extreme card, and the original airport card is used for anything prior (in terms of iMacs). I think if i can just find something to purchase at the apple store for $40 I'm good to go with a $35 refurb airport extreme card : ) .. or pay the $6 in shipping.

thanks everyone for all the kind comments and helpful info!

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
A G4 1.25GHz is still a very viable machine as long as you aren't doing pro level stuff. For everyday computing, iLife, light Photoshop work etc. it will be all the machine you need. I really think you should upgrade the ram though. Replace the accessible ram stick with a 1GB for 1.25GB total. OSX will run nice and smooth with that amount for sure.

Sounds like you got a great deal on it. Congrats!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A G4 1.25GHz is still a very viable machine as long as you aren't doing pro level stuff. For everyday computing, iLife, light Photoshop work etc. it will be all the machine you need. I really think you should upgrade the ram though. Replace the accessible ram stick with a 1GB for 1.25GB total. OSX will run nice and smooth with that amount for sure.

Sounds like you got a great deal on it. Congrats!
I didn't realize i could get more ram. I just thought that the max ram was 1gb, but apparently, according to this guy, you could get 2gb into my 1.25GHz model :love2:

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I didn't realize i could get more ram. I just thought that the max ram was 1gb, but apparently, according to this guy, you could get 2gb into my 1.25GHz model :love2:
According to MacTracker, your model is only supported by Apple to 1GB, but they indicate that with aftermarket RAM, you should be able to go to 2GB. The only caveat may be that you can not install the OS with 2GB of RAM, but once installed on the system, you can upgrade the RAM without upsetting the Applecart! This is similar to the situation with Lombard PBs, where a system install will fail with 512MB of memory, but will run perfectly fine once OSX is installed. I'd Google to find out success/failure stories with these configurations, because sometimes it depends on specific revision levels on Apple's part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for hte info, that would be good to know should I ever come across any decent priced ram.

On another note, I've been thinking about upgrading some parts in my new iMac, does anyone know where to get the Akasa thermal paste that i see so many people use in their guides when opening up their system? can anyone recommend another thermal paste out there that can be used if the Akasa is not available?

I'm located in Markham (Toronto), and I've looked up canadacomputers.com and cty.ca and neither sell thermal paste. Any store carry them locally?

Other than thermal paste, is there anything else i need? I saw somewhere saying something about thermal pads? what/where are those used?

thanks for all the help :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks! i've got a couple nominations for artic silver 5 and I've located where I can grab some locally. Now i just need to know whether or not it is suitable to use in my G4 iMac ... can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
220 Posts
On another note, I've been thinking about upgrading some parts in my new iMac, does anyone know where to get the Akasa thermal paste that i see so many people use in their guides when opening up their system? can anyone recommend another thermal paste out there that can be used if the Akasa is not available?
I buy thermal paste at Active Surplus On Queen St. W.. I'm not sure of the brand but their heatsink compound works and is nicely priced. Have fun souping your G4... I am up to the same kind of project.

Take care.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts