Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, it's awesome. i got the 15 GB one, and holy crap it's a lot of fun. got a belkin tunestation with it too, and broadcasts it to my car radio with no problems.

now i'm spending the rest of the night and probably every night next week ripping all my cds into itunes.

this thing is amazing. i wish everyone has one of these things!

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Just curioous....

If you had an iPod with an iTrip and a car stereo that can display ID3 Tags, would the car deck display the ID3 tags off of the iPod?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
RobtheGob,

Stupid question, but how do you use the AAC encoder in QTPro for encoding? I have QTP but wasn't able to figure out how to get iTunes to rip with it rather than its own encoder. I've read elsewhere that QTP is a better encoder.

I plug my iPod into my home stereo and the 192 Kb/s AAC does sound richer in the bass and high end. I don't notice much difference though the phones though.

macdoc, no problems in reliability of my 15 gigger. I even worked out how to move over to a new powerbook without havng to re-load iTunes (by moving over the library over firewire).

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got my iPod (10 gig 3rd gen) two weeks ago and i love it, but i've noticed little quirks... like it'll shut of and restart f for no reason, not connecting to my computer unless i restart both my iBook and iPod (only once or twice).... don't know if it's me or the software... but other than that it rules. :D

Phil

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got a new iPod also but I need to figure out how to take 10GB of music off of my old one and put it into the new one. It's not easy I tell you...

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Use 192kb/s AAC (iTunes preferences). Takes some extra space but well worth it....
I used to use 192 Kb/s for mp3, but when I changed over to AAC (I use the encoder in Quicktime Pro, with custom settings, it sounds much better than the iTunes encoder), I started to use 128 Kb/s.

I find that the QT AAC at 128 sounds much better than 160 mp3, and sounds as good as 192 mp3. 128 AAC sounds fine for anything that I use the iPod for (i.e. with headphones or in the car). I was really surprised at how much I liked AAC at 128, considering how picky I am about my music...

Now playing AAC's on my two channel system isn't going to happen very often regardless of the bit rate used...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Copy it off the 1st iPod, onto your hard drive, then onto the 2nd iPod. You most likely will have to use an application that bypasses the security features on the iPod. Check VersionTracker or MacUpdate for one.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Alec,

Presumably you have all of the music on your iPod on a Mac (in iTunes). If so, then you can just create a new series of playlists in iTunes and plug in the new iPod. Set it to upload the particular playlists.

If you are paranoid (not a bad state to be in) and are using OS X, then create a new user and copy across the iTunes music library from your current user directory (usually in -> Music, iTunes ) . Then plug in and go forth....

As Chealion mentioned, there are utilities for copying from an iPod to a Mac. You might try iPodAccess.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
If you use QTPro to export the current song, then you can select AAC and set it's options. Sounds much better than the AAC in iTunes.

I found it quite cumbersome, so I ended up using Make Mine Mpeg4 from Doug's Applescripts.

Works great for 95% of my CD's, well worth the $7 US!

·
Registered
216 Posts
"Just curious....

If you had an iPod with an iTrip and a car stereo that can display ID3 Tags, would the car deck display the ID3 tags off of the iPod?"

Doesn't work tried it....

Parousia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts