Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that the Apple store is back up with nothing new...

I'm looking for a webcam for my Mac Pro, specially an iSight, however so far I have yet to find someone willing to sell me one that A. Works, B. Not Overpriced.

So I went to futureshop to look for an alternative, and none of them indicated they would work with a Mac.

On the Apple store they do have this one... it doesn't have the iSight cool feature, and its rating is crap, but i know I can get it now.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...tore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=37DF1D19&nplm=TN217LL/A

What are my alternatives?

Thanks,
uMac

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Having owned a couple of Logitech QuickCams in the past, I'd suggest they're the next best thing to Apple's iSight. I believe almost any model will work with a Mac - mine were the Pro 4000s, which were sold for $99.95 CDN and are now replaced with the Pro 5000 for $129.95 CDN.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having owned a couple of Logitech QuickCams in the past, I'd suggest they're the next best thing to Apple's iSight. I believe almost any model will work with a Mac - mine were the Pro 4000s, which were sold for $99.95 CDN and are now replaced with the Pro 5000 for $129.95 CDN.
I see nothing on that site that says the cameras still support Macs.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Apple added USB Webcam Support with Mac OS 10.4.9. I know for certain the QuickCam 5000 Pro works well. It works with iChat, Skype, and even PhotoBooth, as well as several security apps. Microphone works in it fine as well. It does not work with iMovie capture.

The image capture rate, and quality of the camera is great, on par with the full external iSight, perhaps better.

You won't see specific mention of Mac support on the box, but I 100% gaurantee the 5000 works great.

Again, you need 10.4.9. It won't work with anything earlier.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Allow me to take this opportunity to ask again: "WHY did Apple discontinue the iSight????" Sure, they come on all new Mac laptops and the iMacs, but not the Mac towers nor the Minis, not to mention the legacy folk who have videoconferencing needs.

Yes, you can buy a logitech cam or other webcam, but iSight was a quality product.

Not to mention those who would like to have a camera that is pointed somewhere other than at yourself?

Am I the only one who thinks this was really dumb?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allow me to take this opportunity to ask again: "WHY did Apple discontinue the iSight????"
Am I the only one who thinks this was really dumb?
No I agree with you, espically since Steve used 2 to show off the new iChat features in Leopard. It was like a kick in the teeth that I can't buy what he uses.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
No I agree with you, espically since Steve used 2 to show off the new iChat features in Leopard. It was like a kick in the teeth that I can't buy what he uses.
Was just going to mention that. I noticed that too, that Steve had 2 of them.

In the back of my mind, I always thought they were going to release a new one, that also had Windows support and iChat / PhotoBooth for Windows (and Mac).

Hey... you never know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had nothing but issues with the QuickCam Pro 5000 ... I went through 3 of them seeing if the problem would be solved... still nothing. The iSight that I used worked a million times better...

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Allow me to take this opportunity to ask again: "WHY did Apple discontinue the iSight????" Sure, they come on all new Mac laptops and the iMacs, but not the Mac towers nor the Minis, not to mention the legacy folk who have videoconferencing needs.
The reason given by Apple for bringing down the axe on the iSight was because it couldn't be sold in Europe due to RoHS regulations, which put strict limits on what hazardous materials - and how much - are allowed in products. I bet the iSights were being made with lead solder which isn't allowed anymore. You have to use expensive lead free solder if you want to make electronics and be able to sell them in Europe now.

What I'd like to know is while they have restrictions like that, how do they deal with mercury inside fluorescent light bulbs of various kinds, since it's still there even in the reduced mercury ones. And lightbulbs are easily broken too. The lead solder in an iSight isn't going to jump out and get you if you drop it. I'm sure their intentions are good and all but...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought a Logitech Quickcam Ultravision a couple months ago and it's worked very well for me. I'm using it on a G5 iMac running 10.4.9. The box says it's windows only, but I found something on the Logitech website that indicated it will work with OS X, you just can't use their software for the extra functions. I got it at Futureshop for $80, and at that price, I give it two thumbs up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a Logitech Quickcam Ultravision a couple months ago and it's worked very well for me. I'm using it on a G5 iMac running 10.4.9. The box says it's windows only, but I found something on the Logitech website that indicated it will work with OS X, you just can't use their software for the extra functions. I got it at Futureshop for $80, and at that price, I give it two thumbs up.
It's been my experience that most Logitech peripherals either work with Macs straight out of the box, or with drivers available on their site-- even if the box says "Windows only"...

:cool: --ryan

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
It's been my experience that most Logitech peripherals either work with Macs straight out of the box, or with drivers available on their site-- even if the box says "Windows only"...
... with the exception of their USB chat headsets. Visit the Logitech forums, where an education is easily had in the uselessness of their tech support people, and the zero commitment to Mac.

Fortunately, it seems that the 10.4.10 update fixed my Logitech freezing problem (90% of the time, plugging my USB 250 headset with lock up the machine, requiring a hard restart).

·
Registered
55 Posts
... with the exception of their USB chat headsets. Visit the Logitech forums, where an education is easily had in the uselessness of their tech support people, and the zero commitment to Mac.

Fortunately, it seems that the 10.4.10 update fixed my Logitech freezing problem (90% of the time, plugging my USB 250 headset with lock up the machine, requiring a hard restart).
Well, I will admit that I haven't had the chance to use any of their headsets...

--ryan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apple added USB Webcam Support with Mac OS 10.4.9. I know for certain the QuickCam 5000 Pro works well. It works with iChat, Skype, and even PhotoBooth, as well as several security apps. Microphone works in it fine as well. It does not work with iMovie capture.

The image capture rate, and quality of the camera is great, on par with the full external iSight, perhaps better.

You won't see specific mention of Mac support on the box, but I 100% gaurantee the 5000 works great.

Again, you need 10.4.9. It won't work with anything earlier.
Thanks for the info. Think I'll ignore the box packaging and go out on a limb and try the Pro 5000. Although, when purchasing at Best Buy it's not much of a risk, they're great at accepting returns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts