Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Quark screws their customers? I have been a long time customer although I never bothered to upgrade to 5.0 as 4.11 did me just fine and I found something interesting on their website that just ticked me right off ...

Here's the situation ... I moved to the Mac platform from the dark side and I owned two, count then 2, licenses for Quark for PC. Quark, in it infintesimal (sp?) wisdom would not let me transfer the licenses over to Mac ones - they said (at the time) that I had to buy new full copies for the Mac even though I couldn't sell or transfer or in my case use the copies I had. Adobe had no problem, and I think for $15 for shipping I got new disks in the mail for the programs I owned. Not to get anyone's feathers ruffled but to use Quark on the Mac platform I "borrowed" a copy and I don't feel guilty because the license agreement I agreed to said I would only use one copy on one computer, they had the problem with what computer I was using but wouldn't do anything for the $2.5K worth of software I couldn't use.

Now if I use my license number from one of the copies I still own but can't use - I can upgrade it to the Mac platform (finally!!) but the upgrade price is $1,275 CND plus shipping, GST, duties, etc.. A NEW copy sells for $1,350.00! so for 2 copies of Quark and being a long time user I get $75 off my next purchase - Oh, I could use the $100 off coupon they keep sending me to make it $175 off but what's the sense. Now here's the kicker - if I upgrade to the PC version of Quark 6.0 from my PC version I can get the upgrade for $800. Quark says themselves that Quark 6.0 is the same for both the Mac and PC platforms AND the disk ships as a Hybrid. So WHY do I have to pay $475 more to get a different serial number and activation code to run the exact same program on the Mac OS!!??

I have inDesign, I think I'll switch ...

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Yes, switch! I did over a year ago and couldn't be happier. Sadly, Quark has no place in my business any longer. It's really a bit of a shame such a leader in page layout would slide into it's apparent abyss so quickly.

C'est la vie!

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
You're absolutely right... Quark is a money-grubbing pathetic excuse for a company.

My boss asked me to look into getting my seats for our Quark since we hired on more people -- Quark proceded to tell me that I (well, the company I work for really... not me personally) had to pay full price for more seats.

I told them Adobe sells serials at reduced cost to customers who already own the software.

Quark basically told to me to PFO. Too bad. They don't offer that option.

Man, InDesign is looking better all the time (licensce fees aside). And don't even get me started on their tech-support.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I made the move myself not to long ago. Sadly Quark has the M$ approach, we're the king of our market place let's abuse the fact. I think I paid a fraction of the cost for a full InDesign license via a competitive upgrade from Adobe and I haven't looked back.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I have mucho gray hair from supporting Quirk all these years as a technician. Its the single most problematic program on the platform today and version 6 is not better. Quakr has ahd their day in the sun and a lot of people are finally figuring this out.

About 2 weeks ago I had a first-hand experience with the "new Quark" when I had to call tech support. We installed Quark 6 and activated it on the wrong machine. When I called Quark after installing it on the correct machine and called to reactivate it I ended up talking to somebody in Bombay India for 1.5 hours!!!

In the end I had to print out a PDF, enter all the relevant info and they said to fax it and they would get back to me. I insisted we dot it NOW on the phone and had to wait 45 minutes to finally get a new activation code. Quark has done something really stupid with this whole activation thing and made it needlessly complicated. If they offered us a tuility to deactive it then we could have more control while this being legal. Anyhow the people who saw me go through this decided to take a second look @ InDesign now.

I do have to say the new Creative Suite is really nice, I received my copy earlier this week and I'm totally blown away with all the new features in InDesign CS and the like.

They certianly have a winner if they can smooth out some of the installation problems some have been getting.

BTW, I stopped using Quirk when InDesign 1 came out. I've been through all the growing pains but since 2.0 its been really nice. CS is even better and is the final nail inthe coffin so to speak if people can take the time to explore and give it a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
The only thing lamer than Quark's customer service is their software...

Seriously, why would anyone continue to use it after transitioning to X? Anyone?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Bloodyface,

I brought up a thread on why do people continue to use Quark when other and better options are available and well......I got everything from A to Z on why they love using Quark and the awesome customer service? yeah ok, whatever :D

Now it seems people are finally seeing the light, I never imagined the day that I would read someone who actually HATES the company Quark and its customer service on this board, way too many Quark zealots out there ;) . If people would just listen and have the balls to change earlier, all this could have been avoided many many moons ago :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Urban, it's not like many of us really like Quark - or their tech support and customer service. We're tied to the software because of our customers, printers, deadlines, downtime, training, etc.

The commercial print industry moves at glacial speed and until reliable results were predicable, InDesign was too much of a risk to take when dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars of print. Quark is the devil we know. We might not like it, but it's predicable. Fortunately InDesign has been maturing into a viable alternative and many have been able to make the jump. Others will follow. Some are caught having to use both.

Look at it this way. The Mac has a superior OS. Why do so many people use Windows.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Coyote,

Sorry, didn't mean for my post to sound so harsh. I guess I just knew this day would come for those in the business such as yourself.

I wonder what the percentage will be in 10 years for Quark vs Adobe users?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts