Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my first-ever junk mail at my @mac.com account yesterday. I've had the same address ([email protected]) since iTools was announced, but I've never received any spam at that address.

I always assumed that the same technology in the OS X Junk filter was at work on the entire .Mac system.

My first spam reminded me that .Mac's webmail system lacks a tool to deal with junk messages. Yahoo, for example, has a "This is junk" button that notifies Yahoo of the spam.

Yes, I can mark the message using the "This is Junk" button in Jaguar's Mail program (which didn't catch this message when I downloaded it from .Mac).

I don't really have a point here, except to ask if other .Mac users have received any junk mail.

SMc

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Work email account 1: 30-70 junk mails a day (versus 50-70 or so real emails). Mail app efficiency is very close to 100% in filtering these (I've been really careful in training and I still review the caught spams once a week - takes a couple of minutes to scan the sender info.

Work email account 2: only used internally, 1-2 junk emails a day.

.Mac account: no spam emails yet (been active since the service was launched)

AOL account: 95% of what I receive is spam. I only use this when travelling. I report the spam when I have time using the AOL reporting system (and block it too but since most spam addresses are one-time only, this doesn't have much effect).

My feeling is that Apple is somehow filtering .Mac but that, as with all filters, it's not 100%. I rely on Mail.app filtering on a daily basis. I tried bouncing to sender but that just generated more re-bounces for deletion.

I can't change my main email accounts without signficant hassle and my feeling is that spammers pick up new accounts quite easily if you have anything published on the web. Sandy, I'd imagine you are about as inconspicuous as a nudist at a wake.

Talking of web presence, I just googled RtC and got this:

Rick the Chemist's Unified Messaging Center
... Update Your Details Add/Update Your Photo, Hello my name is Rick the
Ch.... My ICQ number is 3832133 and my name is Rick the Chemist. ...
web.icq.com/wwp/3832133 - 36k - Cached - Similar pages.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I basically have 3 .mac email addresses (don't ask) and my main one ([email protected]) probably gets the most spam. The filter is pretty good though (probably about 90-95% effective)

The problem I run into is having access to this on different machines. My home machine has a well-trained filter and it is pretty effective.

My work Desktop has never been trained and it is about 50% effective.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I have 9 email addresses to manage ( Don't Ask
)

Some are specifically to be used for junk mail, when I want to subscribe for something free and I know it will result in unwanted email.

But I also have just started to notice the .mac email SPAM showing up.

It is usually grouped with an number of simular .mac addresses so it could be just generated for one of those email spam programs.

I also just recieved this today, I usually just throw them out but decided to see what Virex (from the .Mac Internet Services Suite) would say about it and I was pleased to see this:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Your virus definitions were last updated on February 19, 2003, and appear to be up to date.

Your virus definitions were last updated on February 19, 2003, and appear to be up to date.

Diagnose Scan started at 2003-03-15 11:23:11 -0500
Summary report on /Users/dave/Desktop/rstabdcnav1[1].jpg
File(s)
Total files: ........... 1
Clean: ................. 1
Not scanned: ........... 0
Possibly Infected: ..... 0

Diagnose Scan completed at 2003-03-15 11:23:14 -0500Diagnose Scan started at 2003-03-15 11:23:24 -0500/Users/dave/Desktop/LLC.bat
Found the W32/[email protected] virus !!!

Summary report on /Users/dave/Desktop/LLC.bat
File(s)
Total files: ........... 1
Clean: ................. 0
Not scanned: ........... 0
Possibly Infected: ..... 1

Diagnose Scan completed at 2003-03-15 11:23:26 -0500 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this did not and I beleive can not do anything to a Mac but it was caught.

As the Mac tend not to get virii it is just exciting to see one (Yes I am a Mac Geek!
)

·
Registered
363 Posts
i have never *knocking on wood* received junk mail at my .mac address.

that's probably mostly due to my not taunting .mac by throwing my email address all over the internet, though.
i have a yahoo address for that.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Heart, is there an easy way to do the smudging of sensitive text is did you open into a gfx app and apply a smear to the jpg (which I kow how to do but its a hassle)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My opinion: ISPs and other mail service providers should not block spam. Spam blocking techniques and algorithms are not 100% efficient, and they are blocking real e-mail sometimes. There's a story about an ISP who blocked all messages with the subject line starting with Photos of at the time Anna Kournikova was a popular spam hook. My e-mails announcing Photos of my vacation were blocked!

My suggestion: What they can do is flag potential spam and let the user filter them out and have the final decision. I prefer to receive all messages addressed to me and have OS X Mail put flagged messages in my Junk folder.

If they can't flag them, I prefer to be able to opt-out of their filters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts