Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jony Ive is retaking control of Apple’s design team after two years in hands-off role

Jony Ive, technically Apple’s design chief since 2015, is once again assuming management control of the iPhone maker’s design team after two years in a largely hands-off role, according to a report from Bloomberg. Ive, responsible for the look and feel of Apple hardware throughout a majority of former CEO Steve Jobs’ revolutionary second run at the helm of the company in the late ‘90s and 2000s, was freed from much of his day-to-day management responsibilities in 2015, when he took on the chief design officer title. He still oversaw design, but other executives and employees on the team no longer reported to him.

At the time, the move was viewed as Ive, who is 50 years old, laying the groundwork to retire from his intensive position at Apple. However, it now appears that Ive is retaking control. Apple’s leadership webpage no longer lists Alan Dye, the vice president of user interface design, or Richard Howarth, vice president of industrial design, according to 9to5Mac. Both Dye and Howarth took on Ive’s management responsibilities when he stepped back two years ago.

“With the completion of Apple Park, Apple’s design leaders and teams are again reporting directly to Jony Ive, who remains focused purely on design," Apple told Bloomberg in a statement. So it appears Apple is claiming its newly opened spaceship campus as the culprit for Ive’s less product-focused time at the company these last two years.

(Read more at: The Verge)​

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
Oh right, just what we need, another Jony screwup and input of the OSs and their Apps Interface and workings. :-(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Rather than worry about the past I choose to look more positively at the future, with a single person in charge, rather than too many cooks (pardon the pun) spoiling the broth. At least that way one guy can guide the development in a single direction. Unlike some, I have found Ives' work to be innovative and a talent that led the way for Apple to capture the cell phone market.

One thing he could do is remove the power button on new iPhones from being directly across from the volume buttons on the side of the current iPhones. Every time I try to turn my phone off for years now, all I really do is turn down the volume, unless I pay particular attention to the placement of my hand. This was never an issue when the power button was on top of the phone. There has to be a better way.

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
Every time I try to turn my phone off for years now, all I really do is turn down the volume, unless I pay particular attention to the placement of my hand. This was never an issue when the power button was on top of the phone. There has to be a better way.

Yes, that can be annoying and is quite a common problem for many, but try doing the shutdown using your other hand. Your fingers may align with the button you want to press better.

But gee, is there still no voice activation command available to shut the iPhone OFF????

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I only hold my iPhone with my left hand. All functions are done with the right including typing. I am a single finger guy, no thumbs involved so my left hold the phone and my right grasp the button, but I have to be sure hold my right thumb on the high left side to press the off button with my right index finger while my left hand supports the phone. I have no idea how in the heck anyone can use two thumbs to type as I use my right index finger for typing. I simply cannot use thumbs as I am used to all fingers on a regular keyboard. I guess it is whatever one gets used to.

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
I only hold my iPhone with my left hand. …

OK, but moving some figures around doesn't seem too bad or awkward.

But maybe you'd prefer using a different methd that should work for you and you iPhone.

Have a looks and read here:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/06/ios-11-how-to-turn-off-iphone-without-power-button/

and here:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-fix-broken-iphone-lock-button-3464222/

After things are set here: Settings > General > Accessibility, then
"tap the grey accessibility button, tap device and then tap and hold Lock Screen. This will bring up the usual power off screen so you can then slide to power off."

That would save reaching/supporting to Press and hold the Side button (aka power).

PS: I have no idea how people type with just using their thumbs as mine are much too thick to do so accurately even on my iPad 2's larger screen. Even then I usually end up using some sort of stylus.

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
There has to be a better way.
There's always a better way, at least that's what I've always said, and always room for improvement — but sometime it just takes a bit longer or more money than expected.

I saw a fellow the other day that was using a wrist strap as he typed on his cellphone, quite neat and he said he loved it as it also kept his hands almost free.

I think his used a strong magnet to hold the cellphone in place as one second he wasn't using it and the next sec on or so he was. So certainly some fast method of attachment.

It looked similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/VUP-Wristban...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FZ0AKYPE060T2V68SXCD

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Jobs would have never let let some of the design horrors of the last few years pass, including really stupid ones like the mouse you can't operate while charging... Not sure Ive was that detached from hardware design not to have been responsible for this and ½ dozen other bloopers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts