Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

OK, Keynote just finished. SJ said that Leopard is the first 64 bit OS. That's great, but what happens if you have a 32 bit CPU? Is there a 32 bit version as well, or are we PPC users out of luck? I have a powerbook and an Intel iMac, I want Leopard on both. The powerbook is still very usable and is my most used Mac.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Backwards compatible. Don't worry.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Backwards compatible. Don't worry.
I don't know. CNet's blog says "10:37--Feature No. 4: Leopard is 64 bit, top to bottom. It has the 64-bit underpinnings from the Unix base for Mac OS X, but it's also extended up into Cocoa. It's the first mainstream 64-bit operating system, he says, because Apple does not plan to have a 32-bit version of Leopard."

And I just remembered that I have a Core Dual, not a Core 2 Dual iMac, so no 64 bit there either. Might be time to do a brain transplant on it.

Continuous WWDC keynote coverage | Tech news blog - CNET News.com

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Interesting. But I'd be mighty surprised if Leopard dropped all PPC support.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
should I notice a big speed bump with my dual 2ghz G5 then?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It would be reassuring to see system requirements. I'm hoping that core animation will run well on my Powerbook.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Remember, CoreDuo's are 32bit only the Core2Duo's are 64bit. It would not make any sense if Apple made Leopard only run on 64bit cpu's. That's a lot of Mac user's to give the middle finger to.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
The only thing I'm concerned with is the gpu requirements to run Leopards' core animation and new interface. Will it require a better GPU then the integrated GMA950 (64mb) in the Macbooks and Mini's?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only thing I'm concerned with is the gpu requirements to run Leopards' core animation and new interface. Will it require a better GPU then the integrated GMA950 (64mb) in the Macbooks and Mini's?
I really doubt that the GMA950 won't handle the new UI. AS was previously said it would'nt be a good move for Apple to give the many Macbook/Mini users the finger.

·
Registered
672 Posts
HI,

OK, Keynote just finished. SJ said that Leopard is the first 64 bit OS. That's great, but what happens if you have a 32 bit CPU? Is there a 32 bit version as well, or are we PPC users out of luck? I have a powerbook and an Intel iMac, I want Leopard on both. The powerbook is still very usable and is my most used Mac.
First, its not the 'first' 64-bit OS. Most UNIXes have been there for quite a while. Secondly most UNIXes - AIX, Solaris, HPUX support 64-bit and 32-bit applications on a pure 64-bit OS.
Finally, the POWER4 (G5) architecture has no technical limitations in supporting a 64-bit OS.
POWER3 (G4) and below maybe a different issue.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Im not sure if im repeating someone lese here but after I watched the super blurry keyote stream from apple. Jobs did not say leopard is "pure" 64 bit. The first part is that he said that leopard is built in 64 bit from the core all the way to cocoa... If you listen to the second part he said that apple will not ship a 32 bit leopard or a 64 bit leopard. A 32 bit and 63 bit will come in the same disk. There will be no 32 bit or 64 bit version (seperate).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts