Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just got Jedi Knight 2 on Friday and played it for quite a few hours on end.

The Good...
Finally...a Star Wars game for the Mac

The bad...
it runs dog slow on a iMac FP G4 700!!

It's really a good game, with sort of a Half-Life feel to it, but really, the minimum requirements say a G3 400..I couldn't even imagine playing it on one. It's very much of a RAM hog, and I had to close all of my apps to help it run (under OS X) and it was prone to frequent crashes, mainly on level loading.

It's version 1.03 out of the box, and I had to turn all extra textures and lighting off, and run it at 640*480, and it's still too slow to even play when in a crowed room. Seriously, I'm going to plug through it for a while and then put it on eBay. Shame though.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
How much RAM do you have? The 700MHz iMac comes standard with either 128 or 256 MB SDRAM.

Please advise...so I will know just how soon I am goin to have to up my own memory on my eMac.

BTW, how is the multiplayer? Did you try it yet? Gameranger is already supporting it and has well over 600 servers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 256. Now the RAM is a definite help, however it seems the determining factor for how well the game plays is the video card. Aspyr says that JK:2 has numerous textures, which will eat up your video RAM like crazy. Basically if you have a 64MB video card or greater, you will have smooth gameplay. I guess I should have spent the extra $1000 for the 17" iMac just so I could play Jedi Knight eh? This is just sad.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Cool...and I see what you mean.

I just downloaded THE DEMO. I don't know if it runs faster with the disc, but loading between scenes is quite slow even on my new eMac 800MHz.

Once it loads, the action is fine. Gameplay is awesome in the demo!!!

I think I will upgrade my RAM to something more respectible and then ask for the game from Santa Clause.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Jedi demo playing nicely on 933 G4. Does take a loooong time to load though.

Hey, speaking of this game, I'm stuck! I've cleared out all the storm troopers and the dude upstairs etc... but I don't know what to do though. There seems to be a door that is locked, and I have some sort of security key, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it. I've searched every room, have tried every Jedi trick. That can't be the whole demo!

Any help?

·
Registered
383 Posts
EhMax...

Did you control click on the button on the wall to open the door? As long as you have the key from the Imperial Guard upstairs you should be good to go I think. (it took me a few trys to figure out how to activate the buttons)

No, that is definitely not the entire demo. You have completed about 1/6th of the demo.

Great game! Dark Forces was one of my favourites.

The demo plays nicely on my dual 533 running Jaguar.

B

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Ahhh yes, I figured it out. For some reason I tried every key combination except the right one. That is really a cool game (And I'm not that into games anymore)

Definetly will be buying the full version!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I got stuck at that point too. Is that how you get ahead? Control clicking?

I would like to propose that we all get this game so we can have at one another...instead of flogging UT all the time.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I actually mapped the "Use" commaned to my 4th button on my Microsoft Intellimouse and it seemed to work better. By defualt I think its Return or something.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
For some reason, just pressing "control" without any other keystrokes or clicks worked for me.

I too will be buying the whole game. It is a lot of fun...and it is just like being in the movie...what with all those real sound effects and stuff. The game is awesome...and I kicked some Jedi butt.

I also really like the ability to toggle between 1st and 3rd person. I certainly hope others will follow suit and buy it so we can fight online together through gameranger. ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
You are correct, no click required.

I was actually meaning point at the button then hit control to "click" or "activate" the switch. It looks as though our mayor understood what I was getting at.

Great game, it's on my Christmas list. I need to bone up on my light sabre skills though, I'm pretty bad.

B

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
"e" is the default "use" button in JK2 Demo.

I was mildly impressed. But it wasn't very playable on my G4/450 until I dumbed-down all the features and graphics quite a bit. Even then, it was only okay. It's really just a prettied-up version of DF.

I don't know if I'll be buying it anytime soon. Maybe after Xmas...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I tried it on my G4 733, 256 RAM, Radeon 7500 32 Meg.

It ran well at 800x600 at 32 bits. I am not too impressed with the game however... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.