Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am teaching a programming course at the school where I teach, unfortunately it is on WinTel devices. We are using Visual Age Java for Windows. I was wondering if there is any demo or free Java programs out there. Or, which program would be the best for running on OS 9.2.2
Thanks for you help! :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hey mclenaghan. Welcome to ehMac... Nice to see another Kitchener resident here!

Metrowerks Codewarrior has a learning edition that is about $100 Cdn... You can learn more
here.

You can also check out Apple's Made For Mac guide which lists lots of Apple products or Version Tracker. That's about the extent of my knowledge...

Certainly there's some more ehMacians out there who cold help out our new neighbour a little more! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I just had to respond to this

JAVA WORKS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX ON OSX, AND IT COMPILES RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX TOO.
Use the text editor of your choice and save as a plain text document with a .java extension. Go to the terminal and switch to the directory containing your file and type javac and the filename, if you made no mistakes it just works. I find the VI editor built into the terminal to be fastest and most suited to editing java, php, html, javascript etc. If you want to complie and edit java in 9.22 you have to supply your own compiiler and I think you have to use the applet runner, I do not know how to test java applications in 9, perhaps Codewarrior is useful for that.
But if you are teaching this, the best approach would be to use 10.2 and compile and launch from the terminal using vi, it's native, free and it's what unix pros use on other operating systems, 9.2 is less suited to efficient java programming programming, though windows is the worst especially XP .
Any other question, I can try to answer from my limited experience.
Mark

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice. I think I will try and get a version of CodeWarrior and then make space on my harddrive, they never seem large enough.
;)

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
yes Sun is a great company they created Java and gave it to the world to run with. and OSX really shines with Java.
It's much faster than the java compliler I tried on win98 . Sun's approach was write once work everywhere.
Microsoft is just the opposite write many times and work nowhere except on Windows. I actually wish Sun and Apple would merge, since they are both on the same team.
Mark

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it would be nice if a few of the "little guys" got together to take out the giant that everyone seems so fond of.

I have to keep correcting people (mostly students using WinTel devices) how much better the world is outside of their nice little boxes. I guess the saying is right, we do have to think outside of the box.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my CodeWarrior so I can try it out.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Great to hear you are getting into programming on Macs.
I highly reccomend checking out the web site home of java at Sun for the ultimate resources for all things java.
Almost every question has been answered in there forums or faq s
mark
http://java.sun.com/

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know the real difference between the Educational version of CodeWarrior and the Learning Edition. Do to financial constraits I ordered the Learning Edition. But, I was wondering what the difference was.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mclenaghan:
Does anyone know the real difference between the Educational version of CodeWarrior and the Learning Edition. Do to financial constraits I ordered the Learning Edition. But, I was wondering what the difference was.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the Educ. version doesn't allow you to distribute commercial software, but shareware is ok. Other than that, nothing. At least it was that way a few years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts