Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this but how can I speed up Jag on my B&W 400?I've got 256 in right now,will more RAM really speed it up?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Adding more RAM should speed it up a little...
Do you have a graphics card that is allowing Quartz Extreme to run off the graphics card? That will cause a noticeable speed up. Also if you update_prebindings (Kind of like a X version of rebuilding the desktop in 9) about once a month, it should keep it going faster... Their are also some small hacks that reduce the amount of "stuff" that is happening in the background, check sites like macosxhints.com and others for such tips as reducing window buffer size and such to speed it up.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
Adding more RAM should speed it up a little...

More Ram WILL help alot! IMHO

Do you have a graphics card that is allowing Quartz Extreme to run off the graphics card? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

16MB or more for the Graphics Card to take advantage of Quartz Extreme

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the tips.
I have a 32 video in now.Seems that the more apps I install the slower it gets.I checked the process viewer and there really isnt alot going on.I did come across a site that was talking about partitioning a HD to devote to the sys file or something.Is this still true in Jag or was that just for the horrible X release?

·
Registered
778 Posts
sudo update_prebinding -root /

once finished reboot the machine. Should help somewhat.

the top command is run from the commandline

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah,I suppose a mhz kick is needed.Chances are I'll be selling soon anyway,throw in a couple of bucks and get last years G4 DT.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:

Did you get the patch for the Radeon 32 meg?? to use Quartz Extreme??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What patch? Can you give more info on that MacDoc? I have a Radeon 32 meg, and I believe I'm running Quartz Extreme, but can you please give more info...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts