Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using Jaguar with dual monitors?

I have a 533 with dual monitors at home, Jag runs great.

At work I have an 867 G4 running dual monitors and Jag is extremely unstable. UNLESS I remove the second display and card. The second screen is powered by a 32 meg ATI Radion Mac Edition video card. They have no new drivers on ATI's site stating that the drivers are supplied with Jaguar.

I had to remove the 2nd screen just to get Jag to install at all on this system.

Any thoughts?

B

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
No problems here, Bilbo... G4 450 DP, gig of RAM... stock AGP card plus a PCI Radeon 7000... driving an Apple flat 15" and 17" respectively. Jag insalled flawlessly.

For a couple of days I EVEN lived with the hack that gives you QE on a Radeon 7000; switched back after I'd noticed no difference at all.Cheers. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problem here either. I've got a dual monitor setup on my G4/500 PowerBook (for sale in the ehMac classifieds, he shamelessly plugged), running Jaguar with no problems at all.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bilbo:

At work I have an 867 G4 running dual monitors and Jag is extremely unstable. UNLESS I remove the second display and card. The second screen is powered by a 32 meg ATI Radion Mac Edition video card. They have no new drivers on ATI's site stating that the drivers are supplied with Jaguar.

I had to remove the 2nd screen just to get Jag to install at all on this system.

Any thoughts?

B
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jag won't work with the ATI Radeon PCI card as a second video card. I had the exact same problem you did when I installed Jag on my DP800. It was a pain in the butt that caused me a lost weekend . I didn't find out it was the second video card until I reinstalled Jag 3 times and intialized my HD.

The problem was noted on www.macfixit.com . I don't think it's the card, I think it's 10.2.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

On my 533 Dual, I have an ATI XCLAIM driving my second screen. I also use two 19 inch LaCie here as well. So far no troubles. If things continue to be okay, it might indicate a problem with some ATI cards but not all.

Kosh... Which card did you wind up getting to work for your second screen?

I recalled reading something about ATI cards being a problem for 2nd monitors and went looking for the info this afternoon. I did check MacFixit but didn't find it there - must have missed it.

I appreciate the feedback y'all. :D

B
:confused:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bilbo:
Kosh... Which card did you wind up getting to work for your second screen?

I recalled reading something about ATI cards being a problem for 2nd monitors and went looking for the info this afternoon. I did check MacFixit but didn't find it there - must have missed it.

I appreciate the feedback y'all. :D

B
:confused:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ended up leaving my second monitor unhooked. It wawsn't important that I have a second monitor.

There was a report on Macfixit, but it was a couple of weeks ago and unless you pay to have macfixit pro access you won.t be able to see it. I didn't ever see a resolution to the problem.

Maybe 10.2.1 fixes it? Have you tried the update?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
For dual displays, there is always the option of a dual display card. the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro just hit or should hit shelves soon, and the Mac version has an ADC and a DVI connector, and supports 2 displays quite nicely.
On top of that, the Radeon 8500 should be dropping in price now too, it only has a DVI and a VGA, but it is still a good card and 2 displays run quite nicely there too.

Just a thought.

--PB

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kosh,

Yup, the first thing I did was install the update. I guess I have to try to get the company to spring for a dual head card. I'd like to be sure that I KNOW it will work ahead of time.

Thanks.
B

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Everyone,

Update,

I was able to work successfully all day today with both monitors :D using the same Radeon card. It APPEARS the culprit was not the video card at all, but was in fact my 512 meg Kingston RAM module. What made things slightly more confusing was my original user on my computer became corrupted in my struggles to get this issue resolved. (like I needed another problem!!)

Today I created a new user while using my system in "stock" configuration. (no 2nd video card, no ATI scsi card and no 512 Ram module). Things worked fine for a few hours so I added the RAM back into the mix and BINGO, my problems returned. I removed the RAM and they went away again. I then left the RAM out and added the second video again and things have been fine, except I now only have 128 megs of RAM until my replacement module arrives tomorrow. Pretty tough to do design and pre-press with 128.

The strange thing is the RAM seemed to work fine under Mac OS 9.2, but it did not want to play nice with OS X.

Best,
B

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
"...the strange this is that the RAM seemed to work fine with OS9.2, but did not want to play nice with OSX..."

I WONDER if that could be the basis for my many (and well-documented) problems with Jaguar???

BTW- I'm still running OS9.2.2 and Jag is safely on the shelf in it's box as we speak. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yep. probably. Did you get a Hardware Test Disk with your pismo Macnutt? I don't think that they were giving those out that far back, but I can;t remember for sure.

--PB

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Nope. I bought my PowerBook used and I think I got all of the original discs with it....but no hardware test disc.

I sure would like to find a simple (read not too expensive) soloution that would let me run Jag on my black beauty. I'm really attached to my Pismo but lately I've been shopping for a replacement so I can jump into OSX and get on with it.

It's especially perplexing when I'm running OS9.2.2 (like right now) and it works so darn well....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Macnutt...

I would sayit is a real possibility.

What I wanted to do was get my machine back to the way it was the day it shipped from Apple. Once I did that Jaguar ran fine. So that told me one of my other components was likely the culprit. I focused on the video card right away based on other documented problems that I read about. I completely overlooked the RAM initially because the RAM appearedd to be fine under OS 9.

I do know that OS X is more demanding on RAM than OS 9. Ocassionally if I was doing RAM intensive Photoshop work in 9 I'd have problems. Maybe that was a warning sign. For the most part 9 was very stable for me however.

My dual 533 here at home, runs great with Jaguar, and I can't imagine going back to OS 9.

Good Luck!

B

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Something's still a little fishy, unless my problem is different than yours. I had both monitors working in 10.1.5 and no kernel panics. I have 1GB of 3rd party RAM. Everything was fine under 10.1.5. I install 10.2, after the first part of the install where it reboots and installs the applications everything worked fine, the second monitor was up and working. I rebooted and bam, I get a kernel panic and my machine doesn't want to boot up without getting a kernel panic. I take out the Radeon card, and everything has been working fine for weeks. I've defintely been running memory intensive games like Wolfenstein and UT. I even got Retrospect Express up and working to make a backup. I don't think it's my 1GB of 3rd party RAM.

Of course my problem could be different than yours, it just appears to be similar.

Let us know what happens when you get your replacement RAM.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

The RAM showed up about 11am today. I immediatedly installed it and was off. Not one hick-up the rest of the day. Before I call this case officially closed, I'd like to go a week or so, just to be sure.

B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts