Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started playing around with numbers, and wanted to send Apple some feedback. Although there's a feedback choice in the menu Apple hasn't setup the webpage! Both Pages and Keynote have their feedback webpages working. Guess Apple doesn't care what we think of their Spreadsheet!

Regards
from Ottawa
Harvey

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd give it top marks for appearance, it's beautiful looking (I can't believe I just said that about a spreadsheet!) and very slick. It opened my excel formatted NeoOffice created files without a hiccup including charts. My problem with is with the functions; in most spreadsheets you choose the function (in this case standard deviation) then hi-light the cells with the data you want the result of. Numbers shows the function as 'stdev (number,[number,...])' if you hi-light your data in numbers tacks it onto the formula and gives an error! You have to hi-light the 'number,[number,...] ' then select your data. Hopefully these minor gitches will be fixed soon. If it is I'll buy iWork (otherwise I'll have to think about it)
Regards
from Ottawa
Harvey

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree about the slick part. It looks pretty, as most things touched by Apple are. I haven't used it much yet (and usually don't use spreadsheets anyway), but it's been fine so far.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I've been playing with Numbers all morning and so far I'm absolutely loving it. It's not quick and dirty like MS Excel/NeoOffice Spreadsheet but it's easy to use.

At the moment I'm rebuilding a financial spreadsheet I built 2 years ago. I decided to start completely from scratch to take full advantage of the features Numbers has to offer. After this I plan to start building my own Quicken type thing and ditch that Rosetta mess once and for all. I'm already happy I won't have to use NeoOffice again because it's such a resource hog. I'm also going to start using Pages+Numbers to do reports and calculations, and next presentation definitely make use of Keynote. Overall, I give Apple full props for finally bringing out their own spreadsheet program, it's obviously still a version 1.0 product but it's got everything for the typical user and I'm excited to see what they can do with it next version release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts