Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just in the Apple Store at the Eaton Center and they have TONS of copies. Get yours now!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just watched the 20 min video on what its features are, iphoto, and imovie look good, they didnt preview idvd wich id rather have seen than garageband.

Some of the stuff they showed for iweb im sceptical about ( can it really do that, that fast?)

Looks very nice, ez and creative for 80 bones

shoe

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you happen to notice if they have the "Family Pack" versions in stock?

I placed an order online earlier this afternoon, but I'll cancel it and just pick a copy up downtown tomorrow if they have the family pack edition.
Yes. The Eaton Center store had some.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just watched the 20 min video on what its features are, iphoto, and imovie look good, they didnt preview idvd wich id rather have seen than garageband.
Has anyone else tried to download the preview video (large)?

I've tried to download it twice, but each time the .zip file fails to decompress!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm playing with the 30 day downloadable trial
Me too. And right away, I can see that I'll have to stick with MS Word for a while yet. Pages seems to be hugely improved in terms of Word compatibility. The track changes and comment functions seem to be pretty much there. For most basic and moderately advanced users, this looks like a really nice program for a very reasonable price tag.

But in terms of translating Word's advanced document formating, it's not there yet, at least not for the kinds of documents I deal with.

*sigh* I really had my hopes up.

Numbers seems pretty good, but I'm far from a power user.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
iWork 08 is totally worth the money considering the price is on-par with the US now.

The addition of Number means I can finally ditch Microsoft Office 2004 once and for all.

A few things of note since I've been playing around with the demo until my 24" iMacs arrive:

Numbers creates much smaller file sizes than Excel does (provided you don't embed images). I opened a 368kb Excel files in Number then saved it in the Numbers native format and the resulting file size is only 196kb. I know in the grand scheme of things that a few kb here and there don't matter with todays' huge hard drives. Pages still has some issues with Word files, especially ones that contain embedded images *shudder*. Word handles embedded images terribly and scare the heck out of me. Opening simple Excel sheets in Numbers seem to be fine. It even warns of any problems or unsupported features. Very nice.

All of the iWork app files are actually bundles just like OS X apps are (well, Apple stuff anyhow), but I've known this since it came out. Right-click any iWork file and you can "show package contents" to see the file layout.

Of particular interest: iWork 08 files now have an extra folder in their bundles called QuickLook which contain JPG and PDF previews of the file contents for the new Finder in Leopard. Very cool and forward thinking indeed. This should help the performance of the Finder to generate Quicklook previews and not have to render it live like some other potential formats will.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
But in terms of translating Word's advanced document formating, it's not there yet, at least not for the kinds of documents I deal with.

*sigh* I really had my hopes up.
Bummer. I haven't yet tried it with anything with serious formatting.

I do count myself fortunate that most of what I see these days is destined either for print or the web, so advanced formatting within Word is usually a non-issue for my clients. But there are still times when it matters, so even if I decide to go to Pages it looks like I'll be hanging onto Word, too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I didn't want to use a demo. I've been waiting for this to come out for a year and a half. Therefore I wanted to own it NOW!!! So...

My iWork arrives TOMORROW!!!! I ordered it yesterday as soon as it came online (I was afraid they made a mistake with the price so scooped it up) and even though I asked for regular shipping I got Priority Post 1 day delivery!!!! Thanks Apple!!!

I'm sooooo excited!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I didn't want to use a demo. I've been waiting for this to come out for a year and a half. Therefore I wanted to own it NOW!!! So...

My iWork arrives TOMORROW!!!! I ordered it yesterday as soon as it came online (I was afraid they made a mistake with the price so scooped it up) and even though I asked for regular shipping I got Priority Post 1 day delivery!!!! Thanks Apple!!!

I'm sooooo excited!!! :eek:
Download the trial and then just put the serial number in when your copy arrives. My trial gives me that option so I'm guessing that it is the same code that just needs to be unlocked.

Why bother waiting the extra day?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Frackin' Canadian wholesalers haven't added the '08 apps to their pricelists yet....

Get you a deal on 387 iLife '06's though....

(sarcasm - they havem't shaved a penny off, of course..)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts