Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing from the Apple store in Philadelphia, where I've finally gotten to see a G5. They're larger than the G4's, taller and deeper as well, I think, but very beautiful. The finish is what I would call a pearl white. They also seem very quiet, as best as I can tell in a mall store. Let me add to this - it IS quiet; I just listened to it against a G4 in the store and there's a big difference! This is most encouraging for me, as I really care about the noise my computer makes. Only one G5 here (the 1.6 ghz model, and it's pretty fast! I also lucked out and picked up a refurbished iMic for $20US. Cheers, everyone.
:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am painting myself green with envy

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'm in the "I think it's ugly" camp, having seen a couple dozen or so at MacWorld. I guess it will grow on me though. I agree they are VERY quiet.
Wait until you see the 2 GIG dual put through it's paces like I saw. No matter what group I was standing with everyone who saw the G5 wanted one, ugly or not.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm in the "I think it's ugly" camp
I'm always puzzled when people say otherwise. I'm not sure "ugly" is the right word though. Just... blah! Plain. Ordinary.

But the look is also necessary. I wonder how much people think about that. Here's a machine that can only work if it's well-ventilated and has 5 fans. Two questions though.

1) If you had to built a Mac tower that absolutely needed good ventilation, what would you prefer it to look like?

2) How long do you think a G5 will last in my house with 2 cats that shed a lot?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
A better question is:

how long would 2 cats live in the house if you gave me a G5

We shall see how the dust issue is dealt with in Jan. with the rev 2's.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Cat fur, not dust, is a very big concern of mine. I can see me having to do a daily clean instead of the usual bi-weekly on my old G4/400 tower.
Yup, that cheese grater look is very necessary. Without all those holes the thing would fry. Air flow is critical.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Its actually 9 fans. Not 5.
But with the entire cased more or less designed for ventilation, (cold air in, warm air out) will the cheese grater look provide any filtration? Or is this design going to be horrible with those who have to deal with large amounts of dust and cat hair?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
What does one do with FIVE dogs, four of them wire haired doxies??????? :eek:

·
Registered
762 Posts
You can always put Cheesecloth over the Cheese grater front to filter
auugh......... bad sense of humor!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can always put a cheesecloth over the pets!!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
One person I know has suggested putting pantyhose over the case. I'm not sure how this will affect airflow.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Don't know how it effects airflow, but, you won't be able to pick it out of a police lineup.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That "I am a frog" pic at suicidegirls.com is HYSTERICAL!

I wonder if I should humiliate my cats that way.

Maybe the next time they sleep on my keyboard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts