Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Simple: Americans (USians?) are so fat that its impossible for them to stick their finger in the cap to remove the liner.

Either that or they changed the production process after being sued by a woman who broken her nail trying to remove the liner.

I cant think of any other possible answer...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Oh my. That was funny.

Not that I agree with the slandering of Americans....ahem.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Not that I agree with the slandering of Americans....ahem.
What would you expect coming from a Separatist? You ARE ALL separatists in Quebec, aren't you, Mantat?

Not so fun when the Gross-Generalization-racial-slur shoe is on the other foot, eh? :rolleyes:

[ February 20, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Macaholic ]

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Personally I think that (like everything) "It is what it is". If it were a big problem for me, I'd buy something else; it's not like I don't have a choice.

But, just so you know the background of supporting a given codec (each and every one has similar licensing requirements) and realise it's not just a matter of some guy in R&D deliberately trying to ruin your life:

WMA support is embedded in the chip (as are a host of other things; want a parallel port? The chip supports it; it's designed to be as flexible as possible). But that doesn't mean you can just "diasable" the feature. Actually, you have to deliberately enable it.

Now, aside from the issue as to whether the ITMS's business model pretty much rests on the AAC codec (which I beleive it does) there's the matter of licensing fees.

Not particularly onerous on a per-unit basis, chances are with the success of the iPod Apple would be paying the maximum royalty as per Microsoft's WMA licensing schedule.

On the per-unit basis, they would have paid more than $US 300,000.00 by now for hardware support alone.

The license is capped at $US 400,000.00 per year (for a hardware player). Another fee for each iPod due to WMA software support in the iPod's embedded software (Microsoft capps it at $20,000.00/year for software support of WMA if the software does not run on a WindowsOS computer; it's free if it runs in Windows. Since the iPod, even a Windows-compatible iPod, is not a WindowsOS device, it applies. As would each copy of WMA-enabled iTunes for MacOS, but it's free for iTunes for Windows).

I don't know the details about whether a new license would be required for the iPod mini, but my seat-of-the-pants guess is it would (doesn't affect the per-unit fee, but wouldn't fit under the same cap).

A lot of people know the chip that runs the iPod can also record; enabling this feature and WMA support would require paying Microsoft a license fee capped at $ 1 million a year. Based on iPod's sales, assuming recording enabled and WMA support, Apple per-unit fee would probably be mercifully limited to the capped million dollars a year.

Now, I don't know about you, but paying Microsoft $ 440,000.00 to play WMA files because Steve's iPod is a huge success really would bother me.

Whether WMA support will ever show up in the iPod or iTunes or not, it's Apple's decision as to how they decide to spend their money, not mine.

However, here's an interesting one. Microsoft also supports and sells AAC licenses for hardware and software; but won't support DRM-enabled AAC (used by the ITMS). A wild guess, but perhaps Apple's reluctance to support WMA (DRM-enabled by default) is for pretty much the same reasons Microsoft won't support DRM versions of AAC? They are the two major competing formats for DRM codecs.

I can certainly understand it if you don't like it, and as long as you know the whole picture, if you still feel the same way, then feel free to rant away.

[ February 20, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Registered
350 Posts
What would you expect coming from a Separatist? You ARE ALL separatists in Quebec, aren't you, Mantat?

Not so fun when the Gross-Generalization-racial-slur shoe is on the other foot, eh?
I thought for a second that I was reading Diane Francis...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ah... now talking about politic... No, I didnt vote for the BQ or PQ in the past and probably never will.

Btw, I find it very ironic that you blame me to do generalisation when you do the same about everyone in quebec being a separatist... I hope it was a joke and you forgot the smiley because you really made me laught.

As about american being fat, well 1/3 of the US population is obese and 2/3 overweight and its not coming from me but from official stats. (google away to find the official repport)

Canadians arent much better btw and its going to be more problematic as time pass since the ITMS promo is related to Pepsi and not healthy drinks...

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
You mean you didnlt "get it"? I have to explain it?

There was no smiley, because I was not being "humorous" with you. But, what does this mean: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: means "For shame, Mantat".

As you probably think it unfair to be tarred with the same brush as seperatists, so do the thin Americans take issue with you lumping them in with the gluttunous. But, your characterization of Americans had nothing to do with physiology, right? :confused:

·
Registered
383 Posts
This promotion is not available in Canada is it? I've not noticed any of these iTunes Pepsi bottles in Canada, although I haven't really made much of an effort to find any.

Also does anyone know when we Canadians can begin to buy our Music from the iTunes Music Store? At one time I heard that the laws need to be revised to permit the sale of digital music via the web. Get with it already! I suppose I could buy a prepaid card from a Best Buy or something the next time I'm visiting the U.S., but that is hardly convenient.

B

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Alright, before this gets any worse, Macaholic and Mantat please stop the barbs.

As for Pepsi's way of designing the bottles that way, I was also really surprised when I opened my bottle of Pepsi that you could see if you had won so easily. That said, I really doubt that many people will go into their local 7-11 and pick up and write down numbers. It's a tad suspicious, and at least the clerks I've met are all really jumpy about what you're doing when not at the counter (the constant watching is unnerving).

In the end I don't think it's too big of a deal, a mistake none the less, but not the end of the contest. There are after all 100,000,000 free songs being given away.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
they're not even really being 'given away'.. pepsi's cost of production of that liquid poison is probably fractions of a cent for each bottle, yet people are paying over a dollar for a bottle.. most of that money is going towards the music.. id rather just pay the 99 cents..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts