ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year everybody..
The theory is that Canadian dollar and Euro have declined significantly against the US dollar. BUT, Why are we using the US dollar as a benchmark to what we pay in Canada or the Euro zone?
We live in Canada, and earn our income in Canadian dollars, and so we should be paying for products and services accordlingly.
Plus I can't recall them reducing the prices a few years back when the US dollar was declining, why start now? will they reduce the prices again if the CAD went back up to par?

Anybody here who buys stuff from the google playstore? I'd like to compare how google is handling this to what's apple is doing.

Apple to raise App Store prices in EU and Canada, 'change' Russian fees

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I believe Google uses day to day exchange rates.

ie, plex for android is 5.18$CAD instead of 4.99$USD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I don't see the prices dropping in the future. I still have a US account due to the slow iPad apps rollout in Canada. Maybe time to do more shopping at the US iTunes store.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Happy new year everybody..
The theory is that Canadian dollar and Euro have declined significantly against the US dollar. BUT, Why are we using the US dollar as a benchmark to what we pay in Canada or the Euro zone?
We live in Canada, and earn our income in Canadian dollars, and so we should be paying for products and services accordlingly.
Plus I can't recall them reducing the prices a few years back when the US dollar was declining, why start now? will they reduce the prices again if the CAD went back up to par?

Anybody here who buys stuff from the google playstore? I'd like to compare how google is handling this to what's apple is doing.

Apple to raise App Store prices in EU and Canada, 'change' Russian fees
I love how people have such short or selective memories. For most of the existence of the iTunes store, pricing, especially music, was on par. But our dollar was worth less than it is worth today in American currency.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love how people have such short or selective memories. For most of the existence of the iTunes store, pricing, especially music, was on par. But our dollar was worth less than it is worth today in American currency.
My point is, We buy from the iTunes Canadian Store Not the american.
There is an Apple Canada that is responsible for Canadian operations.
Prices offered should not fluctuate with currency!
fluctuating currency is a business risk to the seller not the consumer!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My point is, We buy from the iTunes Canadian Store Not the american.
There is an Apple Canada that is responsible for Canadian operations.
Prices offered should not fluctuate with currency!
fluctuating currency is a business risk to the seller not the consumer!!
Their is very little left of Apple Canada. I believe that they have even left the building on Birchmoint.

The costs to 'operate' Apple Canada's online presence are all in US dollars. The servers, etc. are all US based. Same with the people who manage them.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Their is very little left of Apple Canada. I believe that they have even left the building on Birchmoint.

The costs to 'operate' Apple Canada's online presence are all in US dollars. The servers, etc. are all US based. Same with the people who manage them.
The offices are still on Birchmount, but I believe they closed the warehouse and outsourced it. I no longer receive packages from that address - they're all from a third party distributor.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Apple's warehouse, at least for return service parts, is now in Vaughan. Previously Birchmount as well.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The offices are still on Birchmount, but I believe they closed the warehouse and outsourced it. I no longer receive packages from that address - they're all from a third party distributor.
The last time I was there, they already knew that they were moving to office space downtown near Ripley's.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Also noticed some major league price hikes on a couple of albums that have now been removed from my iTunes wish list.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Also noticed some major league price hikes on a couple of albums that have now been removed from my iTunes wish list.
This may be independent of the across-the-board currency-related hike. Sometimes albums change prices, have tracks redesignated as "album-only", get replaced by a special edition or are even dropped entirely. Ditto for TV shows and movies.

I refuse to buy any media from the iTunes store anymore, because most if not all such changes affect the availability of your purchases via iTunes in the Cloud. Even a simple price drop can cut you off from iTunes in the Cloud. Screw that.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
This may be independent of the across-the-board currency-related hike. Sometimes albums change prices, have tracks redesignated as "album-only", get replaced by a special edition or are even dropped entirely. Ditto for TV shows and movies.

I refuse to buy any media from the iTunes store anymore, because most if not all such changes affect the availability of your purchases via iTunes in the Cloud. Even a simple price drop can cut you off from iTunes in the Cloud. Screw that.

Been awhile since I've made any purchases as well. However I have gone the other way and keep iTunes out of the clouds!

The increases on these two albums were quite massive. One went from $5 to $13. At $5 I was debating whether or not there were enough tracks to make it worthwhile. At $13 the answer is a resounding no.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
However I have gone the other way and keep iTunes out of the clouds!
There is iTunes Match, which I had for a year or so before pulling the plug. The deal-breaker was the way you have to surrender management of files on your mobile device to the service. And there were bugs galore.

Then there's iTunes in the Cloud, which everyone has and cannot be turned off (AFAIK). It is supposed to allow you to re-download or stream any past purchase from any device that's logged into your account. However it's half-baked and not to be trusted. Fortunately I've always kept local copies of all files, except a few things I'm certain I don't care about.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Then there's iTunes in the Cloud, which everyone has and cannot be turned off (AFAIK). It is supposed to allow you to re-download or stream any past purchase from any device that's logged into your account. However it's half-baked and not to be trusted. Fortunately I've always kept local copies of all files, except a few things I'm certain I don't care about.
It can't be turned off but you can suppress their display in iTunes (and iOS AFAIK.)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
It can't be turned off but you can suppress their display in iTunes (and iOS AFAIK.)
Yes, on iOS you have the "Show All Music" setting (through Settings>Music and also Settings>iTunes & App Store) which toggles between showing only files stored on the device, and showing all those files plus those available for streaming or download via iTunes in the Cloud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts