Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a G5 1.6 GIG single processor powermac with 1.25 gigs of ram and the nVidia 5200 64 meg video card. I have attached as my main monitor a 17" LCD display.
When I run iTunes with the Apple visualiser plugin and let it perform at full screen mode I get no more than 30 frames playback. At work we have a DUAL G4 1.25 MDD with the ATI 9000 64 meg video and iTunes gets between 70 - 90 frames playback when using the Apple visualiser plugin at full screen mode.
Any one know what is up with the G5 performing less than half as well as the DAUL G4 1.25??

I thought it might be the LCD screen, so I attached ONLY a CRT 17" to my G5 1.6 and it had exactly the same results. 30 frames of playback.

What are other ehmac members getting for performance with their various different macs with iTunes and the visual plugin out there in ehmaclandia? Am I the only G5 owner experiencing this low of a result?

Thought my G5 would rock out in this kind of task. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I get between 35 to 38 on my G4. It could be your resolution that you are running. Try swtiching to 1024 x 768.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
HI there, open itunes and start visualizer ,but not in full screen mode...now goto where the burn icon usually appears (or where is says browse usually) it now says options and click on that little geometrical image...it will open alittle window that will allow you to uncheck the 30FPS max limit..now go and start visualizer in full screen mode and you will probably get a lot more FPS now..hope that helps! Mark

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
I was disappointed with the 5200 performance too for a variety of reasons. The 9600 option is much better but no method of getting those cards after the fact :(

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Are you sure you don't have your visualizer capped at 30fps on the G5? I'm getting ~90fps on a similarly-configured G5.

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
Tim I get 75-80 on full screen at 1600x1200 with the 9600 card - I'd be interested in the frame rate from yours as the CPUs are indentical otherwise.

When I was using the Dual G4 with the 9000 I also noticed improved video over my previous G5 with the nVidia - the 9600 card feels about the same and the 9000.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imactheknife, is THE MAN !!
I can't believe after all these years of using iTunes that I never found the options where you pointed me to. I was always just looking in the preferences area.

Just so people know, I am now getting between 55 - 70 frames with my Apple 17" LCD display attached to the G5. I thought something was fishy here. My old DUAL 867 was getting better results before I upgraded to the G5.

I am very happy to see the nice fast smooth results that the greater frame rates result in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts