Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when we Canadians will be able to use the itunes Music store? Are they setting up a completely new store for each country or just working out the billing issues?

Personally, I would like to see a little more Canadian content available. Then we come to the question of price. $9.99 US per album, is a little steep in my opinion.

A downloaded album should cost no more than $10.00 CANADIAN. There is no jewel case, no printing, shipping or stocking involved here. If the prices were in this neighbourhood I would start buying music again. In the last 10 years I have bought maybe 15 CDs. All that the overly inflated prices do is discourage people from buying music and encourage piracy.

Priced right, online music sales could be a huge moneymaker for all involved.

B

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, anything is better than paying $36 and $27 for techno/ambient compilations. I'm keen on the idea of $9.99 US for an album, especially if Apple respects the current exchange rate.

Btw, I had a good friend with some power in the mac community e-mail steve jobs over the available of the iTunes Music Store or lack thereof in Canada. He got a reply from him, and it went along the lines of 'It's out of our hands, since this falls in CRTC's jurisdiction as well as recording labels and online sales issues in Canada..." However, Jobs did say that they are working HARD to press Canadian penetration for IMS.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
There's no way that the Canadian iTunes music store will undercut the US version (at the appropriate exchange rate) unless the Canadian licences come in lower than the US counterparts. As for US$9.99 per album, its about the convenience and impulse buying, not the price. I mean, why would you buy a compressed version of a CD for the same or more money than the real thing? Unless, of course, copy protection on CDs becomes so prevalent that the only way to play songs on an mp3 player is to download from on-line stores. In which case, the music industry will be acting true to form in forcing people to buy the same music in different formats (vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD, SACD, DVD-A...). Same old, same old.

I've been scouring stores for unprotected versions of old albums thinking that the time's are a-changing and within a few years the consumer will have no way to re-encode music for other formats.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my case, I could care less about having the actual CD, complete with case and liner notes, but if there are no cost savings encurred buying my music digitally, I may as well just buy the CD. The conveinience and instant gratification of iTMS is nice though.

We can all see where this is heading anyway, we won't even need our CD players. We will have our complete library, with custom playlists on a computer that will feed our tunes to our stereo system via Bluetooth or something like that. Actually you can do that right now, but I predict it will soon be the norm.

The record companies need to realize in the long run it is better for everyone to make a little less on a whole lot of downloads rather than demand high profit ratios on fewer sales. Once the music companies post the music for download, it is no more work for them if it gets purchased once or one million times, the tunes just sit there on a server waiting to be purchased. You think they'd rather see lots of downloads.

On a side note, I love all the "poo pooing" the so called experts are doing about the iTunes Music Store. "It is not selling enough to make a difference" Give me a flippin' break!! Apple's marketshare is what 4% or there about? If Apple is selling this much music with this tiny of a marketshare, the lid will blow off when they open things up to the Windows users and the folks outside the US. They NEED to get it up and running fast BEFORE ole Bill Gates beats them to it. Apple has proven this will work. I swear some of these so called experts are on crack!

B

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
BlueTooth doesn't have the bandwidth but 802.11b or g do. Or Firewire.

The poo-pooing is ridiculous. A Microsoft manager was even quoted on CNet as saying that "we did this first - there's nothing new". They don't get it. Microsoft is just acting its usual 10,000 lb gorilla self by pushing its own standard. Apple is using iTMS to push iPods and to backstop its service component. I bet there will be options built into .Mac to access a certain number of freebie downloads, just like the free photo printing. Everyone is just sick of Steve Jobs taking the limelight (again).

Competition is good and I hope there are lots of competing services, just like the iPod has competing products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts