Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed several interesting things while installing iTunes 4.1 on a Windows XP machine:
- iTunes look and feel is pure Mac
- iTunes can be selected as default player for all audio/video
- QuickTime 6.4 is installed automatically, including plug-ins!

The QuickTime installation is especially interesting to me. Does this mark the end of the "Upgrade to QuickTime Pro" nag in Windows (for any Windows user who has actually bothered to download and install it)?

The iTunes Music Store is only part of what's going on here. Apple is giving Windows users a taste of the Mac experience, first via the iPod and now via FREE software.

Very intentional. Verrrry interesting.
SMc

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, next it'll be another iApp, and the big coup-de-gras (did I spell that right?) the OS. :D Yes, that's right Apple's gonna take on the big Microsoft
... nahhh, I'm only kidding. But it does make you wonder. And Apple is gonna have a 64-bit OS before Microsoft.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Kosh - You're wrong about MS having a 64 bit after Apple. MS has had a 64 bit version of XP for a while to run on the Itanium processor from Intel, and they've had a beta version for the Athlon 64 being worked on for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I'm inclined to reserve the "64-bit Desktop OS" crown for Operating Systems that can run legacy (32-bit) code natively. MS's current 64-bit Windows, and Intel's 64-bit chips don't. The problem becomes evident when you try to find 64-bit versions of common desktop applications.

The workaround is to use the Windows/Intel 32-bit emulator, which is like VPC (true emulation, slow) rather than Classic (compatibility at native processor speed).

When MS releases it's AMD-compatible version (unlike Intel's chip, the AMD processor does run 32-bit code natively) then it will have a 64-bit desktop OS that someone can actually use.

In that respect, I give the nod to Apple for having the first 64-bit desktop OS, by that I mean it runs on 64-bit processors and can handle 32-bit code natively.

You will hear others who don't call it that way, but If you need to use the hardware for common desktop tasks and not look at it gathering dust, that's the way it is.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide,

By that logic, wouldn't Windows XP (or even Windows 2000!) be the first 64-bit desktop OS, since it runs on 64-bit processors (specifically the Opteron and the Athlon 64) and runs 32-bit code natively?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Back to the subject of this thread.... ;)

Apple ported iTunes to windows 'cause they saw the chance to sell more hardware (=iPods). They've been pretty up front about this in the press. Even the music downloads are a vehicle to sell iPods. If Apple makes another cool accessory like the iPod, tied to an iApp, you can bet that they will have learned from the iPod experience that they have a ready and willing market in PC users and should get them the software asap. Other iApps will remain Mac only, gotta find some way to sell the computers to PC user, afterall! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
It looks identical because it is indentical, it's a straight Code Warrior port.

The only things that had to be re-written were things like the CD burning interface drivers

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Does iTunes for Windows then work with the iPod and replace that crappy piece of sfw. that Windows users were forced to use with their iPods?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yes, any existing Windows iPod can now be used with iTunes for windows. Which is nice because MusicMatch is kind of lame.

--PB

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
MusicMatch is very lame.
I was setting up and iPod for a client that bought a XP box and I could not believe how counter-intuitiv that MusicMatch sfw. was.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts