Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to stop iTunes from automatically starting downloads I have in my queue when I startup iTunes? I'm on a Mac.

It really annoying because everytime I start iTunes it start downloading a chuck on a podcast in my queue and it eats into my capped bandwidth from Rogers.

I still want to download those podcasts eventually so I can't delete it in the Podcasts section.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
In recent versions of iTunes (I believe at least 7.0 and upwards) you can modify the download settings of each individual podcast or en masse. Just set the "when new episodes are available" setting to "do nothing" and you can then grab the episodes (new ones are still listed, just not downloaded) on an ad-hoc basis.

You can also just unsubscribe, and instead bookmark the podcast "page" in iTunes and grab episodes individually when you like.

I have to add that I can't imagine that podcasts could eat significantly into anyone's "capped bandwidth" unless you have subscribed to +10 HD video podcasts or some such thing. I download two hour-long SD news show podcasts every weekday night, plus rent the occasional HD movie from iTunes (and subscribe to other less-frequently-updated video or long-audio podcasts), and looking at the figures I don't think that adds up to even 10GB downloaded per month or so, or about 1/6th of Rogers' stated cap (happily, I'm not on Rogers).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts