Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iTunes is not cracked. The only thing the programmer's program does is save the AAC audio data to a file, which you then have to turn into a usable file.

This is the same guy who cracked the CSS code on DVDs. If you really want to circumvent the DRM, how hard is it to burn a CD then re rip the CD?

A lot of people think that Fairplay's DRM has been compromised, but it hasn't. The programmer wanted to listen to the songs he purchased on iTunes with Linux, and since there is no way to play encrypted AAC files on Linux, he came up with a solution. This takes the audio and saves it.

Why he didn't just burn a CD and re rip it, or use a program like Audio Hijack or Wiretap is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Chealion,

Burning audio to a CD, then re-ripping it is a labour-intensive process, and it's quite likely you'll lose some quality in the process. However, with this program, you end up with a perfect copy of the audio data, and for a lot less effort.

Unfortunately, while the program effectively strips the DRM gear from the audio file, it also strips the MPEG headers from the file. Most players can't handle AAC files that don't have MPEG headers. MPEG headers aren't rocket science, though, so I can't imagine it'll be long until someone figures out how to put the headers back onto the files.

So, right now, if you really want to have a DRM-free version of music you purchased from the iTMS, you'll probably be better off doing the burn-rip jig. In a little while, though, this method might be the more attractive method.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removing the DRM is a labor intensive application now, but yes I think this will could become quite popular with the Linux crowd who will spend the money and buy music, but be able to use it on their machines.

Although you will lose a little quality by burning and re-ripping (Most people won't notice), most people who really like their audio quality really high, won't bother getting AACs from Apple. They want AIFFs or really high bit rated Mp3s or AAC. Apple doesn't sell that.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I saw that earlier, and I've been wondering how much of an impact it will have on Apple.

As far as I can imagine, I think the impact will be minimal; I imagine most of the people that use the iTMS are doing so because of "good karma", I doubt that they'll proceed to strip the DRM gear from their purchased songs and dump them on the nearest P2P network.

Even if they do, I imagine most (if not all) of the stuff in the iTMS is already available on most P2P networks, so I doubt the few extra files will matter all that much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Of course his site and blog are offline.....so u ain't gittin' notin' man..... :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Of course his site and blog are offline.....so u ain't gittin' notin' man.....
As with the dvd crack, he's simply uncovered a code that's already in the hands of busy programmers who will now use that code to build a stand-alone program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts