Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'nuff said.

my favorite/most used mac program keeps getting better. and my bf is getting his 17" AlPB any day now, so we can do the whole share/stream music thing. VERY exciting.

:D

thoughts on the new version?

Phil

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
New version seems really nice so far... It will be amazing when I can buy tuntes. :D Love browsing through the store. I feel like a kid in the candy store. Its just going to only keep getting better and better.

So the question I have is, who here is going to re-import their music collection in AAC format.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
1. I love the new version, i can watch Music videos!!! (Little slow downloading today though loL)

2. I will be re-encoding my collection as soon as I figure out this whole DRM thing they have in it, unless that is only in the files that you download from them.

3. I wanna buy stuff
:rolleyes:

4. I can watch Music videos!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm thinking about re-importing my music collection as AAC files, but it's the sort of thing I'd rather do on a desktop, and my only Mac is a Powerbook. Maybe when I break down and get myself a iMac/PowerMac....

Update: How much of a difference is there between AAC files and MP3 files, both in size and quality?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
iTunes 4 does rock, indeed. Very nice. Better performance, as well.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
jfp,

Apple is claiming about a 25% space saving at the same bit-rate and the default is 128 kbps (or whatever the unit is). Several people claim that Ogg Vorbis is better but since AAC is part of the MPEG4 standard, its a no brainer for Apple.

Am just going to order a 15 gig iPod. Been waiting since Feb...... Heh, patience is rewarded.
I'll recode all of my CDs as AAC for it. BTW, you should never convert mp3 ->AAC as there is no point whatsoever. Always convert from the CD source (I know you knew that jfp but some people might not).

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Man-o-man. It's going to be another xmas or two before I can justify blowing nearly a grand on an iPod. Gotta move into a new (well, any) tax bracket ! ;)

I'm surprised that they removed the FireWire plug from the iPod (you need an adapter cable now). And the USB 2.0 bit - not really a big deal, since if you have FireWire, that's what you'll use, right?

Anybody know if the FireWire is the 400 or 800 version?

M.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I like the browsing you can do with iTunes 4 and the Video too.

I have been shopping on iTunes for a couple of hours now and have not bought a thing, I should teach my wife this kind of shopping.

'Oh no honey, you can't buy that.... you have to be from the US of A.

[sarcasim]
Maybe we should have joined in on that IRAQ thing..... :confused:
If only we knew they were going to take is personally and leave us out of all there fun. :(
[/end sarcasim]

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Cubamark, the new iPods still have FW400.

Wonder how long it'll take to migrate the music store to Canada? My 15 gigger is supposed to ship May 2 +m 3-5 days shipping..... I'm sitting in DC right now but my credit cards are all Canadian.... ratso.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Apple music store FREAKS ME OUT!!! ::--)) Integration with iTunes 4 is great. Most innovative thing to happen all year in the music world!!!! The samples are STUNNING quality. Click listen click listen click listen click listen click listen click listen -- that's what I've been doing for the last 2 hours.

WOW -- that's all I can say after realizing what the future of the music industry is going to be like. Better for the environment too. :cool:

Great day for Apple and consumers.

iTunes 4 the future of music.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
CubaMark said:
And the USB 2.0 bit - not really a big deal, since if you have FireWire, that's what you'll use, right?

And according to Apple's website, the USB2.0 is for Windows only, so for most of us here it is a moot point.

--PB

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
the music sounds much richer using iTunes 4 and also i downloade QT 6.2 and i can now ALWAYS play large size videos from apple's site and they look and sound better too.

i admit, it could just all be an "optical conculsion"
the sound really is much richer and takes advantage of the Bose speakers I bought a few years ago....

the rich string sounds, even when quiet and no distortion, that i can hear and the quiet solo piano with just a tinge of echo (a soundtrack i am listening to) - very nice....

looks like i'll be spending more time in os x
maybe time to get a more powerful box? hmmmmmm

kudos to the boys and girls at apple

:cool:

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts