Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Fire up Software Update and download it now!

John

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Internet sharing of music is disabled in the download. :mad: :rolleyes: The pirates spoil it for everyone else. This WAS a great feature until people figured out how to record streams etc... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I don't plan on upgrading just yet. As long as there are other folks libraries to listen to, I won't bother.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Heart,

There are apparently some burn fixes for Superdrives but network sharing is now confined to your own subnet. When you download through Software Update, your old copy of iTunes 4.0 is patched. If you want to retain sharing, I doubt you can run the new version on the same machine as the old.

From the readme:

iTunes 4.0.1 includes a number of performance and network access enhancements, and only allows music sharing between computers using iTunes 4.0.1 or later on a local network (in the same subnet). If you have an Apple SuperDrive, you can archive your song files to a DVD disc as well as burn playlists to standard audio CDs to play in your car or home stereo.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Digging a bit deeper, the Shared Playlists I'd previously accessed are still visible in the Source List of iTunes but are greyed out. Selecting them brings up a dialogue saying that the selected library is not compatible with this version of iTunes. Since iTunes is seeing these playlists, they are likely on the same subnet as my Mac but the other users will need to run 4.01 in order for them to be accepted by a 4.01 user. In other words, if you upgrade to 4.01, you can only see other 4.01 user playlists, even if they are on the same subnet... Bummeroony.

Seems that this was the price Apple had to pay to keep the record co's happy. Wonder if there will be more prices to pay down the line??

And no, 4.01 does not grant access to Canucks to the iTMS (but you can bet when it does come along, you'll need the latest version of iTunes....).

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Nice move was this in the 4.0.0 version?

Just to tease the Canadians.

As you can see I changed the choice, why bother teasing myself...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts