Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!!!

After having had a Pismo PowerBook as my first Mac for the last two years, I have taken yet another step forward into the world of Mac. It's step number-2 mind you, but a step none the less.

I am now the proud owner of an 800MHz eMac with SuperDrive!!! Baby and "Papa" are doing well! ;)

The aforementioned PowerBook has been sold and is off to a good home in the Maritimes! I shall miss it, but the speed and power of this current machine is absolutely wonderful!!!

<sigh> :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Great for you! VertiGo Go please keep us posted on what you like and dislike about your new Mac. I'm looking at the same machine and I'm trying to decide if the 17" iMac is worth the extra money (believe it or not it is the better video card , which should have better legs, that is drawing me to the iMac). Saw them side by side the other day and would just like some feedback from you and/or others to help me make the decision.

How does Jaguar feel on the machine? and did you buy the stand? Enjoy and hope to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, so good. The machine is very responsive. Jaguar feels nice. Setup was a breeze...as was transfering all my files from my iPod to the right places in the eMac...including mailboxes and junk.

I was considering the 17" iMac as well for a while, but the screen quality is better on the eMac (IMHO) ...plus I get to save a few hundred bucks and then put that towards more memory.

I'll keep you posted for sure. So, here I am...Day-2 and all is well. Oh! And the speakers on this puppy kick butt!!! ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good to hear that others enjoy their Macs, too! Do you miss the portability of the PowerBook?

We have a PowerBook and are think about upgrading someday.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have read reports that the eMac 700 is more responsive than the iMac LCD 700, can anyone check if there is a similar situation with the eMac/iMac 800 MHz models?
I would, but we dont have an eMac 800 to put on display yet :(

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. Not missing portability at all (yet?).

Although we are thinking of getting an older clamshell iBook for the house and setting up a software base station so we can both go online.

Hell...is that even possible? Can we just slap Airport cards into the new eMac and then into an old iBook and have them linked for Internet use?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Can we just slap Airport cards into the new eMac and then into an old iBook and have them linked for Internet use?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You betcha. It's real easy to configure this in OS X now in the network panel. In fact, you have to be a bit careful because if you've an Airport card installed, Jaguar seems to default to allowing sharing of your ethernet connection to other Airport equipped Macs. Since in this configuration the hardwire cvonnected mac could be acting as a DHCP server, its not a good idea if you have another server on your network (2 DHCP servers - a happy subnet do not make...).

The only limitation is that your eMac will have to be on (and awake I think) to act as a bridge.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's certainly louder than the Pismo I had before it, but I don't think it is all that loud.

I have never had a Mac desktop to compare it to, however it is a lot more quiet than the PC desktop I have at work. I hope that is of some help to you.

Personally, I love this machine. It is great. Very responsive. Wonderful screen. Fantastic sound!! :eek: The only down-side is that the standard 256 SDRAM just isn't enough. It runs fine, but can get bogged down if you have several apps open at the same time. I will be upgrading the memory at some point soon (likely an additional 512).

·
Registered
839 Posts
2002. mmmmm good times!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Thanks to harrydude for trolling an old thread. Thread locked.

harrydude's post has been removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.