Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the second last one today at Mostly Digital in London. Clerk told me that Griffin will only be supporting the 3G Ipods from now on.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I wouldnt put alot of stock in what a clerk told you. It would seem to be a bad businees move to simply cut off production when all the R&D has been completed. However, maybe it will take all their rescources just to keep up with the demand for 3G pods.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Apple discontinued the old iPods. Why should the 3rd party people keep supporting them indefinitely? I would assume that for an item that costs less than 1K, and requires no consumables (like printer cartridges), accessories are not necessarily mandatory. Especially considering that the sealed, unreplaceable NiMH battery for the iPod has a MTBF of about 3 to 5 years, at which point you'll probably have a $500 paperweight.

However, a quick check on the Griffin site shows both types of iTrip for the time being. FM transmitters are fairly plentiful - just buy one from Radio Shack! It's only $29 last time I checked... Sure, they're not as pretty as an iTrip, but all they need is a stereo miniplug, which can be used for a lot of other equipment (CD, MP3, Musical instuments with headphones, etc) as well.

-SJ.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You've obviously never tried the one from Radio Shack...I bought one and returned it almost immediately because it was garbage after trying it in my car in the parking lot. The difference is night and day between that and an iTrip.

I borrowed a friend's iTrip and it worked great on a long road trip with a rental car. I don't need one myself as I use the cassette adaptor (which sounds better IMO but not as clean as the iTrip) in my car but might reconsider getting one if they are in fact discontinued for when I get a new car in the spring.

They will be available for years to come in some form though...there's always ebay.

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
iTrip doesn't work in my Dodge Caravan radio system. I've tried 2 and both give a really obnoxious high pitched whine. :( No cassete in my van neither. Sigh... its burning cd's I shall continue with.

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Any "drifting" with the iTrip? I once bought the radio shack FM transmitter and found it drifted horribly so I returned it. I then found a really cheap one at Princess Auto for $5 (I've seen the same model at Best Buy for $30) that plugs into your cigarette lighter plug but it drifted a bit and I heard a bit of alternator whine.

So, I bought the iRock FM transmitter because it is crystal controlled which means no drifting. The only down side to crystal controlled is you are limited to a certain number of channels (so I get to choose from 4). This is okay for me because so far there isn't too much crowding there since I live in the sticks. But, I'd like to recommend something like the iTrip to some friends in Mississauga/Toronto where my iRock doesn't work all that well but I am curious about the drifting issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts