Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now there is a major player in the mp3 market: archambault is going to sell mp3 at 99c per song.

No big problem? Actualy yes. First it shows that its possible to have an agrement in Canada to sell mp3 online. So the only reason this hasnt worked out yet is because of Apple...

Second and most important, Archambault is no small player. Maybe people dont know it but this company is owned by Quebecor which will use all its muscle to promote it in all media: tv, news paper, mags, etc... Apple will have no visibility compared to it.

My guess is that Jobs was waiting to launch the ITMS in a lot (all?) country at the same time and his wait is going to harm him badly.

Link in french:
article

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
PureTracks has been out for a while. And most rumors do say that Apple already has everything cleared for Canada but is waiting to go worldwide with Europe and Japan.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh.. I see that you guys think that is no big deal, but it is!

I bet you that tomorow morning we will be flooded with ads about this site. Puretrack is a joke, archambault is not. They have the resources and money to fight Apple.

I bet the next time I visit my parents, they are going to tell me 'Eh, did you know that now you can buy music on the internet?'. Quebecor information power is extreme. Apple only manage to reach a small part of the market (young, pros, artist, etc) while Quebecor as media to target very precise segment of the market.

Just imagine: the next tracks of Star Academie is going to be sold exclusively on their store. No bigy? Well, it was best selling album for a few months in quebec...

It doesnt matter is the music they are selling is good or crap, as long as its what people want, they will sell it.

I know that Apple is supposed to be ready to launch the Canadian music store. I just hope that they dont wait too long. Else, everyone is going to use the WMA format.

BTW they are using the same licences as puretrack, every track has a different licence and you cant do much with them...

·
Registered
282 Posts
dude, i disagree - his wait is not going to hurt him one bit. i have yet to use an online music store that doesn't suck - other than itunes. puretracks constantly screws up my orders and downloads, napster is getting there - but i still Much prefer itunes. ITMS is the only online music store that doesn't work inside a web browser and is fully integrated with the number 1 music player. it is fool proof. good luck over at the wal mart music store!

·
Registered
778 Posts
BTW they are using the same licences as puretrack, every track has a different licence and you cant do much with them..
This is where Apple will stand out on top of the others. Eveyone knows about the ITMS. Nobody gives a crap about the rest of the players right now, especially with Apple's fair play policies

Quebecor might be the media publishing powerhouse, but who cares? Apple is one of the 20 most recognized brands out there. I can't remember the last time I heard Quebecor being used in the same context as Apple. Everyone thinks that what Apple is doing will be wrong by waiting. There is great virtue in waiting. Being the first out there can also be the worst thing as well. Apple paved the way with the introduction of their system which everyone is copying, now when they launch world wide, they will have more punch!

Now Playing....Quebecors top 20 webprint music. Listen to the music the printers listen to!

·
Registered
282 Posts
they do have strong marketing power, but I bet you 90% of it will be spent in Quebec. now, the Quebec music market IS very strong - i will give you that. and if ITMS were to lose all of Quebec music downloaders to Archambault that would be a significant blow. that said, i sure have seen a hell of a lot of itunes and ipod tv commercials, billboards, magazine ads etc. over the last year with the numbers increasing daily. Apple has been very present in the market. i also own an ipod and will never go back. wma just doesn't work on the best available music device and that's a fact.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I think you're being a little dramatic. I sincerely doubt they'll totally cut out the public from buying a CD off-line. Perhaps offer specially released tracks that will be made exclusive to the web... but not an entire album.

Why?

Because you want to reach the widest market possible and you can't do that on the web alone. Not everyone has a computer, and not everyone shops on-line. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they thought they'd make more money selling on-line exclusively. It's the impulse purchases at the store... the ability to have something shoved in your face when you're shopping is what gets products known...

I can't say how many times I've seen Super Acadamie posters, CDs and such in the stores in Hull... it brings much larger awareness to the public. I hadn't even heard about it (or knew what it was) until they released the CD in stores. :confused: Go figure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
case in point david thompson. the day puretracks launched they were thoroughly embarrassed. i don't see the archambault music store right now. first impressions are everything - if something breaks the first time you buy it, you don't buy that brand again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I see one positive thing about this : the price. Archambault will sell at 99 cents. It may be an incentive for Apple to sell at 99 cents (CAN) when they launch ITMS in Canada-if they ever consider Archambault's business model... :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I am over reacting... Still, Quebecor has a crap load of marketing power and is not affraid to use it, as in taking full page in the news paper to advertise its product.

About exclusive content: I agree. CDs wont just be availlable on the net, but now that the production cost will be near 0, they will sell every stupid song these wannabe singers are going to sing on tv.

Btw, in quebec Quebecor is probably the strongest brand. They can influence half the population without anyone noticing.. I know because I have seen them doing it! They blatantly deformed facts and omited some important informations so it could benefit their products.

So I hope the ITMS canada is going to show up in the next few weeks... 24 ????

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Very interesting Mantat. Quebecor is a phenomenally strong company but they have a lousy record in understanding digital media. Quebecor Media has a lousy financial record and the Videotron farce suggests that there are major disconnects. Of course, its very possible Apple will get the pricing wrong in Canada and it'll become irrelevant. I think its good to have competition. It'll keep Apple honest. I also suspect the Quebec population has its fair share of iPods given your penchent for style and elegance. Not much Quebecor can do about them....

·
Registered
350 Posts
So I hope the ITMS canada is going to show up in the next few weeks... 24 ????
Well, it would sure be nice, but I can't think of Apple celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Mac by launching ITMS... in Canada.

Regards.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I also suspect the Quebec population has its fair share of iPods
I'm no reseller, but I can say, from personal experience, that I don't see a lot of people with an iPod downtown Montreal-only once in a while.

Maybe Rick the chemist could help us with that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's confirmed : Archambaultzik is using WMA - Windows Media Player 9 is required.

Furthemore, the site states clearly that it is NOT available for Mac.

Here's the requirements (in french)-if anyone needs a translation, let me know.

Internet Explorer 5.01 ou Netscape Navigator 4.7
Lecteur Windows Media Série 9 requis pour la lecture des fichiers protégés ou sous licence. Le Lecteur Windows Media Série 9 est disponible pour les systèmes d'exploitation suivants: Windows XP, 98 SE, ME et 2000.
Configuration minimum requise: Processeur 233 MHz, genre Intel Pentium ou AMD, 64Mo de mémoire vive, 100Mo d'espace disque disponible, modem de 28.8 Kbps, carte de son 16 bit, lecteur DC ou DVD, haut-parleurs ou écouteurs.
Configuration suggérée: Processeur 500 MHz ou plus rapide, 128Mo de mémoire vive, environ 300Mo d'espace disque disponible, modem de 56 Kbps ou plus rapide (connexion haute vitesse fortement suggérée), carte de son compatible 5.1 à canaux multiples (exemple : Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1)

Archambaultzik.ka n'est pas disponible pour Mac.
I hate Archambault anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys, I think your panic and reaction is valid and justfied but allow me to give you my 2 cents. While big and backed up by Quebecor, The archambault music store is no match for iTunes and here's why:

1) iTunes has a selection of music thats 100x bigger than that of Archambault and will continue to get bigger.
2) iTunes own 70% of the market in the US, and iPods account for almost over 50% of all mp3 players in the world.
3) iTunes exists on Windows, and TONS of Windows people are buying iPods. The iPod does not support WMA because its the worst format out there.
4) HP and Apple have partenered up to sell iPods. HP is the No.1 seller of pc computers in the world (or close to it). On every HP will be iTunes installed and configured pointing to the ITMS.
5) The problem in the PC world (and this applies to the archambault music store) is that there is no unity. Nothing is designed to work together and hence you run into all sorts of problems. So a guy buys a song from archambault, they have it on their PC, and now what? They play it with whatever they have installed? The whole formula is broken when you compare to the iTunes music store which is perfectly synchronized with the worlds best mp3 player/database (iTunes), synchronizes flawlessly with the ipod, and gives you a million more options.
6) In my opinion, archambaults music store clearly illustrates how big of a threat Apple currently has on the stronghold of Microsoft. What the relation between Quebecor and Microsoft here in Quebec is, Im not sure, but it seems like a pretty strong one and is why the store only supports WMA. It is also very clear that Archambault is clueless about the digital world.
7) Once it opens, I am pretty sure, that the ITMS will bury Archambaults music store.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
[pffff....]

This is such a no brainer. Archambault, unless they plan a country wide campaign, is going to get nothing outside of PQ in terms of revenue. no wait, lemme correct myself: nothing from les anglos outside of PQ.

Why should they waste a dime on territories outside of the PQ, where they have some strength?? [as I will refrain to say stronghold] That's like telling us that A&B sound (a player in BC) will be opening an online store and selling downloads for $1. How does that affect anyone in ONT? What about MB?? Simply put - it does not. We are talking about brand recog like someone here mentioned. Archambault will go nowhere outside of PQ. Hell, they don't even have any presence in bilingual Ottawa. Just like the French music sales, their impact will be local @ best. Star Académie?? Dude this is entirely set for the franco market - I can guarantee you almost no one knows about this outside of PQ, as their search is kept to the PQ as well. As well, i would love to see how many labels will be repped on Arch's MS. There are a few large indies in PQ that has some pull with some good titles - and have nothing to lose (Select, DEP, DKD) but how about the Majors? We know fer sure that they'll be no Beatles. And - as per Archambault's site, they mention that more titles are to come - thus full indication that there are more than a few missing.

I wonder how cost effective this is - running an online music delivery service for a fraction of the market, and on top of that, only a percentage of that market is online. Does someone have some VideoTron penetration stats? Pretty curious.

Now if HMV were to move fwd with something like this, that would be an entirely diff situation.

Over and out.

h!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts