Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sat through so many slightly disappointing keynotes over the last 4 years (dating back let's say, to the dismay of the introduction of the G4 at the same and lower clock speed to the G3, followed rapidly by the speed downgrade debacle) that it's taken me a few hours to start to comprehend exactly how huge today was for the Mac faithful.

It's been the death of a thousand cuts for us over the last few years where we basically went from an iMac being able to perform (or even out perform) a decent PC, to lagging so far behind that Steve and Phil stopped doing bake offs entirely.

Until the rumours of the 970 started to swirl I had almost given up hope that the "quantum leap" to get get us back into serious performance contention would ever materialize. Even then I doubted the rumour sites. Let's face it though, MacBidouille had basically all of it (including early alpha benchmarks for God's sake) dead to rights and months in advance.

I'm almost disappointed that the true specs got leaked because I think that Steve got cheated out of a once in a life time (even for him) "rabbit from the hat" event.

Make no mistake, this was a pivotal point in the history of Apple and for all Mac users. You can gripe about prices but let's face it, the price of a low to high end Pro Mac have almost always been in the $2-2500 to $4500-5000 range (going back more than a decade).

In terms of price/performace though, the relative cost of a Pro Mac was cut by about 60-70% today IMHO. I cannot think of a single day in the history of Apple where you could say that.

We're back baby! Way way back and gone!

·
Registered
19 Posts
And this is the beginning, ground floor, of a new range. X-serves will be next. IBM clearly has massive capacity at the new FAB and we'll see product after product based on G5s. The end is near for Sun and Sillycon Graphics may as well get into playcare services.

It'll be a while till Apple can work out a way to get 9 fans into a powerbook though

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I can see the next Gobi G3 going in the iBook,, Ive read rumors that the G3 will be getting Altivec eventually
So, maybe the G4 will be history and the G3 will be in the portables and G5 in the desktops.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts