ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8core 2010 at work, with 6 gigs of ram (so it's basically paging-out all the time - it's bottlenecked by ram).

So, I asked for another 16 gigs - cheap enough, right?

Instead of "wasting money on an old machine" - bam, 27" imac on my desk today, with 16gb ram inside.

Facepalm.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
What I would do would depend on what kind of work I was doing, and what kind of monitor was hooked up to the 8-core.

For anything remotely colour sensitive, I'd be pissed if they stuck me with a new iMac without a decent second monitor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup - i'm in pre-press, so at least I can hang on to the 23" cinema. but yah - from my chair - complete waste of $.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Bean counters are thinking: 3 years old = End of life. A number established in another era by Windoze boxes. A 3 year old MP should have a lot of life left in it. Maybe you could buy the machine from the company at a bargain price.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bean counters are thinking: 3 years old = End of life. A number established in another era by Windoze boxes. A 3 year old MP should have a lot of life left in it. Maybe you could buy the machine from the company at a bargain price.
now that is simply inspired thinking. time to talk to accounting beejacon beejacon

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Why wouldn't they at least waited until after the WWDC Keynote to see if new Pros were announced? It's less than 2 weeks away and even if there is no announcement, the delay wouldn't have been that great.

Is your company a mixed platform shop? What boxes do the IT guys use themselves?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mixed - about 30% macs. IT guys use laptops, I think lenovos/toshiba mix. no idea what's in the server rooms, don't really care.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
mixed - about 30% macs. IT guys use laptops, I think lenovos/toshiba mix. no idea what's in the server rooms, don't really care.
It kinda explains the dispose after 3 years mentality, and why they wouldn't be aware of any pending new hardware announcements and hold off a purchase.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Do you have an idea how much it cost to get 10gb of FBDimms?
No question for IT to get used ram.. Only certified.

It is wise to spend extra money on a newer machine. Especially when budget allows.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Do you have an idea how much it cost to get 10gb of FBDimms?
No question for IT to get used ram.. Only certified.

It is wise to spend extra money on a newer machine. Especially when budget allows.
Yep. If you've got a budget, spend it. Else you lose it.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
You are right.. 2010's.
those have 4 dimm slots I think. 6gb stock ram uses 3x2gb.
Next step up in triple channel is 12 or 24gb. Shouldn't be expensive though. Weird TI decision indeed

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually that # is still in effect in some IT areas, and the reason my IT has for it is the warrantee. All hardware (windows boxes) is on a 3 year warrantee. If it expires they replace it. They don't wait for it to break. Apparently it's some sort of deal with M$.

It was sort of hilarious around here, the warrantees all wore off in late 2012, but they waited before the last month (this month) of the license with M$ to change all of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts