Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's time to upgrade my phone (a Telus CDMA account) and I am looking to get a new phone (with or without colour) that will sync with my Palm T3, Entourage, Apple Address, etc. Bluetooth phones aren't available from Telus, so a USB-linked phone would be okay too.

What phones are available from Telus, Bell, Fido or Rogers? And if you are using this "bleeding-edge" technology, how are you finding it so far?

Thanks in advance.

[ September 14, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: gmark2000 ]

·
Registered
656 Posts
i have a motorola C350 which works with isync, after fiddling around in the terminal.

i've had so-so success with it, although for some reason, it would copy each of my contacts in its own individual listing, meaning i'd have a listing each for a friend's cellphone, home phone, work phone, etc...

also, i had some listings where the contact's home number is repeated 17 times over and over. in some cases, it messed up my address book listings too.

motorola has a bunch of usb-enabled phones for rogers, as well as having the bluetooth stuff too, via sony-ericsson.

telus, unfortunately doesn't have anything like that (because of their network type) and probably won't have it for a while... but be blessed with the knowledge that your phone works in about 97% of the country's populated areas, whereas the other three providers go from 80% to 93%!

·
Registered
470 Posts
gmark - good question!

I am looking to replace a dead Telus phone.
I'd love to have iSync and bluetooth.
So far, it seems Rogers is the only choice in T.O.
The Sony-Ericcson is nice, but pricey ;)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Dunno about CND operators but as far as hardware is converned the bee's knees is the current generation of Sony Erricsons: T610 and P800 (soon to be replaced by the P900). I use a T610 with iSync through BT and cable to synch my Treo 90 (Palm OS).

Words of caution:

- Some phones are getting very close to allow you to ditch your Palm, but not quite yet. E.g. my T610 doesn't recognise day events and also , I don't want to have 2000 contacts on my phone (even if I could).

- Most problems in synching come from the Palm conduit. So investing in a true combo device would solve that (e.g. P800/900).

- The Redmont monopolists have made sure that you couldn't split the synch between your Mac and a Palm by making the Entourage conduit exclusive to Palm. This means that, unlike on Windoze, you can't choose which part of your data is synched through which channel. So again, if you ditch your Palm you should be able (in theory) to use both Entourage Mail, Contacts and iCal/publish'subscribe...

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Yup, i'd say it's time to dump the sucky cdma technology. AT&T and Fido both offer the Sony Ericsson T68i at a very reasonable price... and that phone with a BT capable Mac is awesome!

I mean... the whole iSync thing... then get Salling Clicker and your phone becomes a remote control for your Mac!

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have a sony erricsson t616, works great with isync and bluetooth

availible in canada from both rogers and fido

·
Registered
292 Posts
also keep in mind, you can also buy an "unlocked" phone which means you just need to get a SIM card from the provider...

no contract to sign means if you are unhappy with the service from your provider you are free to cancel at anytime without getting hit hard for breaking a contract...

and the phone is always yours to sell or whatever.. i got my t616 from this place in edmonton
http://www.omegacell.com/

and there is also www.bubbleplanet.net which is also in alberta which means NO PST if you go get a phone from them...

Jason

·
Registered
470 Posts
Eidetic - thanks for the links.

I couldn't connect to omegacell, and the page links aren't working properly on bubbleplanet

I'll give them a boo later

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Moscool - lookout for the P900. Massive issues with it and MAC OSX. I nearly pulled the trigger with it some time back, but after reading the challenegs that have plagued most users, i held back. It's an awesome phone, but I want tomake sure that there is some ease in functionality. Also, not sure how I would get err-thing transferred from running a palm to using address book and iCal. Not sure that I want to run VPC just tohave this phone either.

Check this thread out.

Looking @ a Treo 600, but no BT!! :( . My palm T is - and I can't go with out it now (BT that is). I agree that PDAs are slowly going to lose ground. I'm looking to replace the 2 (phone and PDA) to one. But it has to be the correct one. Right now, TREO 600 is closest for Palm ease of use with Mac. Not sure about this Symbian OS that I keep hearing about. Where's the Mac support?

Too many of these phone COs have no decent Mac R&D. We are left with these cumbersome work arounds.

An unlocked phone is the way to go. Don't be forced into these other phones if yo don't want em.

H!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Hey H:

I wouldn't touch VPC either. Symbian is the OS of choice in general (best organiser features by a mile) and the one chosen by Apple to support iSync. For instance Apple only supports Nokia's symbian phones (which is odd given Nokia's 40% of the world market, mostly with non Symbian phones). I think there are tech issues that drive this choice.

Your thread on the P900 is a bit inconclusive, I would wait for the next patch and then go for it. I would stay away from Treo/Palm: not only is it a dying technology (I think that Symbian and Windows will win), but it forces another level of clunckiness by adding a sync channel.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Moscool. I hear you.

But I just want something that will sync with ease. What I've been reading about the P900 & MAC OSX is all but that.

Symbian seems to have good/considerable share in EU. Still Palm OS heavy out here from what I can gather.

But the P900 is slick. Yeah - I am going to wait for the next patch update and see what happens.

H!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use the Sony Ericsson T68i on the Fido service. They have a better price than Rogers and offer billing by the second. My only beef is the phone doesn't work very well in Brooklin, ON (my neck of the woods). This phone syncs perfectly with iSync and Address Book. I can even setup Address Book to give me on screen call display when a call comes in over BlueTooth! Sweet combination.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
G2000 - Who are you with?? do y ou currently have a GSM phone?? You may want to shop around...

I know a GTA retailer doing $649 for the T630.
Same one had the T616 for $429 - unlocked - no tax.

PM me if you need more details dude.

H!

[ December 11, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Ohenri ]

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies people. I am close to pulling the trigger on the SonyEricsson T616.

Rogers' price is $549.99 on a month-to-month. For a two-year contract it's $299.99. Then there's the cost of a data plan in addition to a voice plan if I want to hook up to the internet (over bluetooth) via GPRS.

(BTW, Fido's coverage is limited to cities and corridors and would be weak in rural areas I'd be travelling in.)

I'll let people know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm replacing a Telus CDMA phone - an ancient one at that.

Paying $299.99 on a two-year contract sounds good to me for a T616.

·
Registered
470 Posts
gmark - where are you going to buy it?

FYI I saw it at Radio Shack for $299.

Ohenri I'd be interested in that TO dealer. $429 and no contract sounds good too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
if you get the T616 you will not regret it, i love mine

however, don't expect National Geopraphic quality pictures out of the camera

the camera is handy to have though i have snapped pics with it in instances that i would have never had a camera with me, so it isn't a total novelty...

enjoy...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts