Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MacBook Pro, think it is a 2017 model. I am looking to update the OS as I am Mojave. I am doing this because I need the latest version of Adobe CC. I recently did this to my iMac and things have been working well so I am comfortable switching over the MacBook now as that is really used as a backup machine or for when I do need to be portable. The one thing different between my iMac and MacBook Pro is needing an app that connects to my home RIP that runs my 44" wide format printer. Unfortunately there are no updates, at least free updates that will let this work in Catalina or above as it is 32 bit only. My work around is to install El Capitan as a VM in Parallels and run the app that way when needed. Thought this would be easy but have run into an issue when trying to install. It gives me an error and from what I have read online it is a problem with the date and Apples server which wants it to be in 2017 for some reason. Has anyone else tried to do this and know how I can get this done? The work arounds I have seen have not been as virtual machines. I am not sure if this is isolated to El Capitan, what I plan on trying tonight is installing whatever OS was before that one and then update to El Capitan in the VM, though I think I will probably have the same issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a MacBook Pro, think it is a 2017 model. I am looking to update the OS as I am Mojave. I am doing this because I need the latest version of Adobe CC. I recently did this to my iMac and things have been working well so I am comfortable switching over the MacBook now as that is really used as a backup machine or for when I do need to be portable. The one thing different between my iMac and MacBook Pro is needing an app that connects to my home RIP that runs my 44" wide format printer. Unfortunately there are no updates, at least free updates that will let this work in Catalina or above as it is 32 bit only. My work around is to install El Capitan as a VM in Parallels and run the app that way when needed. Thought this would be easy but have run into an issue when trying to install. It gives me an error and from what I have read online it is a problem with the date and Apples server which wants it to be in 2017 for some reason. Has anyone else tried to do this and know how I can get this done? The work arounds I have seen have not been as virtual machines. I am not sure if this is isolated to El Capitan, what I plan on trying tonight is installing whatever OS was before that one and then update to El Capitan in the VM, though I think I will probably have the same issue.
Did you try temporarily setting the date and time back on the computer?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts