Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is iSight Mac and Windows compatable?

If it is not, what firewire based web cam under $200 would you suggest that can be both mac and pc compatable??

TIA

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
No one has got the iSight to work on Windows yet.

Though a great deal of people are hoping January 6th yields iSight for Windows, or at least some drivers for the iSight. I know I just got mine today.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There are ways to communicate with PCs using your iSight and iChat. This past fall, I did several conference calls with colleagues in Japan: I had iSight (borrowed) with iChat software and they were using PCs with some other type of 3rd party camera and software. I’m not sure about the technical details…perhaps it was some kind of Japanese wizardry. Whatever their method was, it wasn’t straightforward and was often difficult to set-up, but the results were excellent. It’s ridiculous that Apple unveiled a product such as the iSight that is not compatible with PCs. Macs represent an optimistic 6% of the computing population, which makes the iSight virtually useless in my opinion. I only have two friends who own Macs (neither of which own an iSight)…most of the people to whom I would be communicating use PC platforms. The iSight technology is great, but PC compatibility is an essential component of its success. If you’re contemplating an iSight purchase, I’d wait until Apple makes the product PC compatible. Let’s face it, Macs are sweeeet machines and far superior to PCs, but it’s a PC world and Macs HAVE to be compatible in every way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts