Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Is upgrading my ram worth it?

4K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  pm-r 
#1 ·
I just bought my new iMac 27 inch and was looking around and found on OWC I could bump my ram to 16GB for about $300.00 but is it worth it. I have 4 which seems ok, but would it be a significant upgrade, I am using iMovie allot and photo shop and allot of gaming in bootcamp as well as parallel which sucks down ram. Also does using 3rd party RAM (OWC) void any warranties or do I just swap it out before any repairs.Anyone have any problems with OWC.

#3 ·
For that kind of money, I'd upgrade in a second. You'll notice a pretty big difference when it comes to gaming and parallels, for sure. You can never have TOO much RAM. :) It also helps futureproof your Mac for a while if you plan on keeping it for some time.

#6 · (Edited)
How much Ram do you actually use? It a waste of money if you don't actually need it.
Launch Activity Monitor, use the machine for the day (keep an eye on the memory). How often are you maxing it? And when are you maxing it.

Also watch Page Out's & Page In's
Page Ins: data written from ram to the hd
Page Outs: data moved from the hd back to ram

Photoshop will suck ram up with is history and changes, so it can skew that number, as who really cares of a change you made 20-50 steps ago is in ram anymore? Moving it back will be fairly quick anyways.

If your running parrells, photoshop and imove all at the same time, upgrading ram would be worth it. But I'm not sure I'd go to 16 yet. 8gb is still a lot. You can always add more later if needed. Saves you about half now, and it will probably be cheaper later.
Canada RAM memory

#8 ·
ok so I got 246.38 USD plus whatever they charge me for duty. On thing I am thinking instead about is turning me off from the 12 GB ideas is 1.) I like the idea of "future proofing my mac" 2.) Not sure about this but would I get better prefomance if I had all the same stick density. Also would buying owc ram void my apple warranty

EDIT
Also When I do multi tasking (which is allot) I max this out in a second even when doing web design and I have dreamweaver and fireworks +a little photoshop

#9 ·
12gb is plenty. :)
You gotta draw the line somewhere. With 12gb under most use you'll wont max it. Under heavy use it still will write some things to the hd. But with that much ram everything critical (and then some) will be stored in memory.

For cheap pricing look at Canada ram (link above). He's an ehMac member, out of Victoria, and his pricing is good. Will probably come out cheaper since you'll skip brokerage and duty.

If you want still more performance (and I'm guessing you got the i7 iMac), look at an SSD drive. I just went from a 2010 i7 mbp to a new ultimate mba. For most things (I'm a designer and developer) the air is faster. For large compiles or pdf exports etc the i7 is about double the speed. But overall I have a net gain. So what I'm trying to say is: if you want more performance look at adding a SSD for your system, apps, and working files.

Cheers,
N.

#10 ·
I have indeed considered an SSD but there are two problems I foresee 1.) cost is extremely high for a decent size, 2.) installation appears to be difficult (or expensive) and this being a brand new mac I don't want to void any warranties. I am now contemplating the 12GB or 16GB either one is a considerable upgrade but the 12 is cheaper although the 16GB would last longer(keep the computer from going obsolete) but the 16GB is not too much more. Also if canada ram happens to see this do your sticks specificly the Kingston KTA-MB1333/4Gx4 for $ 248 have a lifetime warranty?

#13 ·
Ram is user upgradable.
I believe the HD is too (without voiding the warranty).
I'd get a 240gb if you go SSD which is the sweet spot for size vs price (or 120gb to save $$).
Then just get an external FW800 case for yours. Not a lot of money and a lot more performance.

#14 ·
Not 100% sure on this but I think since I have the 27 inch theres a spot for the SSD with out having to remove the 1 tb standard, also anyone have any experience upgrading a HDD on a Imac 27 inch or adding a ssd for that matter. I also know when I was talking to a rep about presales questions he said that upgrading the hard drive is so evasive it does void the warranty. 1 more thing I know the ram is user upgradable but will it void your warranty using 3rd party ram BTW what ever happened to 2nd party :lmao:

#16 ·
I upgrade my RAM with any party but Apple. Go for the 12, like everyone here is telling you. The best effect is felt on the bottom end--the difference between 12 and 16 GB will likely be almost undetectable.

#18 ·
+1

You can NEVER go wrong with upgrading the RAM which is a user DIY proposition unrelated to the Apple warranty. Don't over analyse it, you got some good advice here, go for it.

With respect to the HDD. I heard a user replacement can void your warranty on some new models. My spring 2010 MacBook Pro is, I believe, one of them. Even though I did get the additional Apple care, I still installed a faster HDD (5400rpm to 7200rpm). I guess I'm willing to battle with Apple over the warranty if the need arrises.

#22 ·
The RAM in the iMac can do Dual channel which means you get max performance with Ram in matched pairs - there is no penalty to putting in a pair of 4s and a pair of 2 s. You don't need 4 matching modules.

The new iMac does indeed have a bay for an SSD in addition to the hard drive, however you cannot add a SSD to the iMac after the fact without great difficulty, because only the Apple factory SSD configured models have the proprietary bracket and SATA cables to attach the SSD. MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - New 27-Inch iMac Disassembled, Aftermarket SSD Install Deemed Difficult

All the Mac RAM we handle are lifetime manufacturer warranty.

#27 ·
And for the original poster, FYI, a few points. I've ordered from OWC many times.
1. Use USPS for cheapest rates (less than $10)
2. I've never been dinged for taxes (no duties apply) on OWC orders, even with orders over $500. YMMV on this though.
3. If there's an issue, ask for an RMA, and they send you a Fedex number to use to ship back down and give you a refund right away.
4. Best case scenario, their pricing will be around $225 everything in. Worst case, $225 plus taxes and a $7 processing fee.

#28 ·
I absolutely agree with point #1

Re #2 I have been charged for taxes on an order from OWC. It is as you say though YMMV as mine did just last month. I had two separate orders from them. One for almost $300 no taxes charged. The 2nd order was for about $70 and I had to pay about $7 in taxes... go figure... just glad I was charged tax on the cheaper of the 2 shipments. :)

#30 ·
Unfortunately, not all OWC products have cheap shipping. Their Mini stack minimum shipping cost me almost $40.00, FedEx only and there was an extra $18.00 charge when delivered for something.

But I also found it surprising that the invoiced amount grew a fair bit on my Visa statement and I finally discovered that Visa adds a 2.5% charge for an exchange rate for US purchases.

#33 ·
Ouch, ouch and double ouch!!!

I'll usually not use any of the US couriers if I can help it, and prefer USPS shipments which interesting enough are sometimes delivered by Purolator which seems to have some association with Canada Post in our area.

But finding out the various shipping methods some US companies use can be a real PITA and what the additional charges might be - and no guarantee on that either.

I know of a local Mac user who was sent a "free" CD some years ago, and the courier delivery person wanted $89.00 plus exchange fees etc. for various brokerage and other import duties etc. etc.

He refused to pay or accept the delivery and told them to send and return it I believe to - "somewhere where the sun don't shine". I guess that's somewhere in the US??? ;-)

#35 · (Edited)
I don't know where the "weight or size point [is] where the rates jump like mad" starts, but the aprox 5 lb and 12x8x4 of the Mini Stack is sure bigger and heavier than some RAM modules!!

Edit: as a PS, I checked the offer from an ehmac poster that they would match any OWC price and shipping, and using the Canada post rates, the sipping ranged from $19.00 to $51.00 from Ontario to BC.

An option I may use in the future, but I doubt that it would be anywhere near the the delivery speed I got when shipped from OWC - 22 hours after I ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.