Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbour threw out an iMac machine (with the keyboard attached). I thought I would 'rescue' it. So far, it boots up, and runs, but there seems to be a problem with the screen. Is this burn-in, and is it repairable / worth repairing ... given the age of the machine?:confused:

Here are the specs that I have been able to gather so far:
IMac
2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 2.5 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM [2 Gb in Bank 0, 512Mb in Bank 1]
HD capacity: 150 Gb (Initial OS installation, 2006)
OS/X 10.4.11

Here is a shot of the screen showing the persitent vertical lines (N.B. I am somewhat doubtful if these are indeed burn-in, as one or two of the lines tends to do a very slight, but slow flicker off and on; Could it be that these lines are some defect other than burn-in? ... the screen is still quite bright, so there seems to be still a lot of life left in it.
Kindly see:

Should I decide to keep the machine, rather than consign it to the rubbish heap, it would be mainly for the following purpose:
1) To backup / update my android phone (the manufacturer provides both windows and Mac app for this purpose
2) To download and apply any manufacturer firmware updates for various peripherals.

The machine itself has barely a scratch on it, and both the body and keyboard are clean of dust or crud.

suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
(FTW, I am located in Montréal, Canada.)

respectfully...

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
No, not worth repairing. It's either an issue with the video card or the display panel - neither is a cheap fix, and either would cost more than the computer is worth.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Try connecting it to an external monitor -- you should be able to determine if it's the built-in screen.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Try connecting it to an external monitor -- you should be able to determine if it's the built-in screen.
he would need to purchase a mini-DVI to VGA/DVI for this particular imac..

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I have yet to know a shop in Montreal who does that.

edit: i wonder if any apple store would allow this?

·
Premium Member
17,745 Posts
When I had a problem with an external drive, WestWorld in Calgary happily plugged the drive into one of their enclosures. Drive good, enclosure bad. Cost them less than a minute and generated a sale, as I bought a MacAlly enclosure on the spot.

This is something that will take only a brief moment and could in one manner or another generate a sale. Certainly worth a phone call or three.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's a pity that it can't be 'recycled' as easily as a standard PC (because of Apple's proprietary hardware). Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I think it's a pity that it can't be 'recycled' as easily as a standard PC (because of Apple's proprietary hardware). Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
what you mean recycled? Most parts are just standard PC hardware.

btw, if you aren't fixing it, i'll gladly take it off your hands.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
PC notebook motherboards, batteries, fans, screens and cases are just as proprietary as Apple's
The hard drive and the RAM are the generic parts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PC notebook motherboards, batteries, fans, screens and cases are just as proprietary as Apple's
The hard drive and the RAM are the generic parts.
Understood. ... and thank you. My own Macbook 'died' / was far beyond my budget to do all the repairs necessary, so I thought I could use the machine. (Mostly needed for firmware updates of peripherals...)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what you mean recycled? Most parts are just standard PC hardware.

btw, if you aren't fixing it, i'll gladly take it off your hands.
No problem! If you can provide me your real name and contact, via PM, I'll respond.:) It would really be a shame to just toss out the machine.

Other than the screen problem, my neighbour has kept the iMac in immaculate condition. (There is barely a scratch on it, other than a mark from apiece of scotch tape or sticker that at the top or the monitor frame).

FYI,IllusionX I am located in the Rosemont / Petite Patrie district of Montréal
... cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Don't consign that iMac to the rubbish heap, luigino! It is in perfect working order, except for the LCD panel. Known issue, only I didn't know it happened to Core 2 Duo's as well. It surely is not GPU related.
I bet it carries an LG/Philips LM172 W02 LCD panel. This is a known and frequent issue, not burn-in (BTW, LCD screens do not burn in).
I have the same problem with an iMac that was given to me, a Core Duo. Luckily I found its semi-wrecked sibling for 10 € with an LCD screen in perfectly working condition. So my iMac will be set to go again...
Those spare LCDs are getting extinct globally, so they fetch ridiculous prices. There is a nice, but fairly pricy workaround though: get yourself an LCD panel from a scrap laptop with about the same dimensions, and a 50$ conversion kit.
iMac vertical lines on screen repair kit.
Happy DIY, and recycle the planet, please! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Understood. ... and thank you. My own Macbook 'died' / was far beyond my budget to do all the repairs necessary, so I thought I could use the machine. (Mostly needed for firmware updates of peripherals...)
My reverse troll mode tells me you can for sure repair that iMac you recuperated.
Now pray tell us what is wrong with that MB of yours, maybe it can be saved as well!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My reverse troll mode tells me you can for sure repair that iMac you recuperated.
Now pray tell us what is wrong with that MB of yours, maybe it can be saved as well!
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. :D

My MacBook was purchased in January, 2010 and running constantly 24/7. I tried cleaning it with a "Mr. Clean" Eraser, and disaster: moisture from the sponge ruined the keyboard. Still used with an external keyboard and mouse, until it was given to a good friend some months ago.

Today I saw my next-door neighbour, the original owner of the iMac. Neither of us is interested in the time or expense required for repairing the screen problem. As I live in a tiny apartment, keeping it is really adding more clutter. (My only 'pressing need' for a Macintosh would be to backup / reset my android phone, which requires at least OS/X 10.6, anyway.)

:cool: Anyone who may be interested in taking the iMac], please PM me SASPO, otherwise it goes out on the sidewalk.

This photo should give a fair idea of its physical condition.:)

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Well, Luigino, it's a pity our sidewalks don't meet- they're a continent away (I live in Antwerp, Belgium). I for one would be a happy puppy to find an iMac in that state on the street. Easy fix. :)
Please hang on to it till you can sell it or make an Eh Mac member happy with it! And selling it in that state is not a distinct possibility.
100 Canadian $ would still be a nice price.
Good luck!

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Don't consign that iMac to the rubbish heap, luigino! It is in perfect working order, except for the LCD panel. Known issue, only I didn't know it happened to Core 2 Duo's as well. It surely is not GPU related.

I bet it carries an LG/Philips LM172 W02 LCD panel. This is a known and frequent issue, not burn-in (BTW, LCD screens do not burn in).

I have the same problem with an iMac that was given to me, a Core Duo. Luckily I found its semi-wrecked sibling for 10 € with an LCD screen in perfectly working condition. So my iMac will be set to go again...

Those spare LCDs are getting extinct globally, so they fetch ridiculous prices. There is a nice, but fairly pricy workaround though: get yourself an LCD panel from a scrap laptop with about the same dimensions, and a 50$ conversion kit.

iMac vertical lines on screen repair kit.

Happy DIY, and recycle the planet, please! Good luck!

Actually, if it was a 2007, it would be worth fixing it.
I got the machine on hand now loaded 10.7 on it. It isn't slow but would be good if it had 10.9 support.

Now need to find a free 17" laptop screen. Since I have no need for this imac, I prob hold on fixing it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts