1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three types of HDs:

- LaCie D2 with external power (120Gig)
- Square MacMini companions (250Gig)
- Self-powered FW/USB2 portable drives (60 and 80 Gig)

With the advent of 10.5, I am preparing for Time Machine but none of these will be big enough for the whole family (I supposed 500Gig would be the current sweet spot, 750 even better).

So what I would like to do is to upgrade my LaCie D2 with a bigger drive and perhaps drop the freed-up drive in a self-powered enclosure (FW400 or 800 or USB2).

The questions are therefore:

1) Are the LaCie D2s upgradable? Is it as simple as, say, swapping a hard drive in a tower machine?

2) Does it make economic sense?

3) Are there self-powered enclosures out there for larger drives? I extracted the HD from my defunct PowerBook, but I assume the drive in the D2 is physically larger (ie comparable to the size of a tower-based drive). Also, do 7200 rpm drives need more power than 5400?

As you can see I don't have much knowledge about the innards of HDs... Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The d2 enclosure may be a good candidate for drive replacement, providing it supports more than 120GB. Replacing the drive in the d2 is fairly simple; 2 screws on the end plate (one may be hidden under a warranty seal) and the chassis simply slides out. Once the chassis is exposed, further steps become quite evident.

I believe the only way you could utilize a Mac Mini for Time Machine would be to have it booted into Target Disk Mode at all times. Or are you referring to 3rd party Mac Mini enclosures? Then they would be perfect.

I recommend you'll likely see best results if the additional Time Machine drive is equal to or larger than your boot drive.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I would not trust a bus powered (is that what you mean by self powered?) enclosure. Large 3.5" drives simply draw too much juice. AC powered all the way for me.

But mainly; if the data is important enough to save, it's important enough to have a good, reliable drive to save it on. DOn't go cheap on this decision.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The d2 enclosure may be a good candidate for drive replacement, providing it supports more than 120GB. Replacing the drive in the d2 is fairly simple; 2 screws on the end plate (one may be hidden under a warranty seal) and the chassis simply slides out. Once the chassis is exposed, further steps become quite evident.
Cool, what do you suggest to buy/where to buy?

I believe the only way you could utilize a Mac Mini for Time Machine would be to have it booted into Target Disk Mode at all times. Or are you referring to 3rd party Mac Mini enclosures? Then they would be perfect.
These are actually additional drives that sit underneath the Mini. I could use one of these as a time machine drive for the whole house, but I think it would fill up pretty rapidly: we probably have 200Gig of songs for starters... (all Kosher, but many ripped several times to fit on different iPod and qulaity requirements)

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is laCie's answer... Should I believe them? (answer based on my actual SKU number)

Thank you for contacting LaCie Technical Support. Your going to need to buy a new external drive to expand your storage. The case you have now is probably limited to 128GB drives, so upgrading the drive in it would be a waste. Also we don't sell upgrades for drives, just complete external drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.