Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Is the new low end iMac good enough?

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Mississauga 
Hi,

I am almost 99% sure I gonna get a new 1299.$ iMac...especially when you factor in all the other purchases I want like .Mac & maybe parallels & iWork...yet I was considering what the extra 200$ iMac a.k.a. 1599.$ model means in terms of usability in the future. Does the 256 meg video card mean anything if you aren't really a gamer (although I won't discount the possiblity of playing games esp. since I can run windows on this platform if I wanted)? I don't really care about the speed but, I just don't want to be saying to myself 2 years down the road that I should've bought the model that had more capability.

Did the last 20 inch iMac's have a bigger video card then 128meg?

Your opinion counts!

Thank-you.

Cheers, davidslegend;) :eek:
Games will obviously be affected by the graphics card difference.

For most tasks, the two computers will feel almost identical because most programs are powered by the CPU.

The CPU is 400 Mhz faster in the higher model. I also don't think that will make a big difference unless you are running a lot of CPU intensive tasks. Considering that you had to ask the question in the first place, I will assume you are an average user, so this would not be the case.

That said, I ordered the 2.4 Ghz. :D

Hi...Thanks for the reply!

So out of curiousity what did you need the extra processing power for....photoshop CS2???...other???

Cheers!:heybaby:
davidslegend
I get the education discount because my wife is a teacher, so the extra cost is less of an issue.

The other reason is my future plans for my computer upgrade cycle. I plan to use a computer for about 4 years before upgrading. With one desktop and one laptop, I would buy a new computer every two years. My current Macbook Pro is only 1 year old, which means I want to keep it for another 3 years, which means 5 years for the desktop. Because of that, I want to be as future proof as possible. Now whether I can stick to this plan is a whole different matter...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.