Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Is The Memory Stick Corrupted?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mguertin 
#1 ·
So my mother got back from a trip, grabbed a usb cord for her camera (Sony,) plugged it into her eMac and nothing happened for 20 minutes. The Memory Stick didn't appear on the desktop or in iPhoto. She's done this a 100 times, so for her to call me was strange.

Since nothing was happening, I said the power off the camera. Surprisingly, this led to a device removal warning.

After the disconnection, she turned on the camera and all the pictures were gone. She had looked through the 120+ photos on the plane, so they were definitely there when this started.

I now know she accidently used her GPS usb cord (which is either USB 1.0 or 2.0) and I'm guessing this caused the MS card not to mount.

Any advice?

#3 ·
I use Image Capture for downloading from my Canon and Sony cameras. Maybe Image Capture did the job and your pictures are on your computer some where. Fire up Image Capture and connect the camera again. See where the photos are to be downloaded to. Delete photos after download may also have been selected. I never let that happen automatically as I'd rather delete them off the camera myself after I know for sure the photos have been downloaded okay. Just a guess. It wouldn't hurt to try. You now have nothing to lose.

#4 ·
The finder may have not mounted the card - it does sound as if there was an auto download.

As long as she does not use the card the photos will be salvageable. Variety of programs will do it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

mguertin - have you tried that program? The pictures are worth the price. I'd feel more comfortable knowing someone's had success with it.

MacDoc - Any one or two programs come up all the time? I have no trouble looking for feedback/doing research on versiontracker, etc, but I don't know what the popular programs are.

Gene B - I'll try it with her tonight.

I wondered if an FTP program like rBrowser might be able to better "see" the files.

I'll post how it works out.

#6 ·
First off I will second the idea that auto delete bug should be turned off in both Image Capture and iPhoto.

I am extremely cautious about my photos. This is my system:
Remove the card from the camera.
Lock the card (SD cards), and connect via USB reader.
Download images (Image capture in OSX, drag and drop OS9)
Back-up images to external drive.
Unlock card and replace in camera.
Use camera menu to reformat card.

Prevention is much easier than recovery. Locking the card prevents the computer from accidentally erasing images. The reader and locked card combination allows safe use even with unknown computers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.