Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS the only way to actuvate the phone to sign up with AT&T? Could you not just cancel the service right after the phone is activated?

Is there a hack to activate the iPod portion but not the phone portion?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I haven't looked into the AT&T plan for US users, however I believe there is a $179 USD cancelation fee. From there I don't know if the iPhone will continue to function or not, but even if it worked as an iPod, it would be a rather expensive novelty since you had to pay for the iPhone, and then pay to cancel the service.

I would suggest that you search to see if there are any other topics regarding hacks for the iPhone since there are a couple on this forum. The freaking phone just came out, so I highly doubt there are any hacks, and is it really worth your time and money even if there was a hack. Just wait until there is a working service in Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
IS the only way to actuvate the phone to sign up with AT&T? Could you not just cancel the service right after the phone is activated?
Sure - but the phone satops working as soon as you cancel.
Is there a hack to activate the iPod portion but not the phone portion?
Not yet - but why bother? That would be one heck of an expensive iPod...

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
for $625 canadian: a video ipod, with internet wi-fi capabilty....could be used as a personal organizer...no so shabby IMO...
The original questioner was asking about hacking the iPod portion of the iPhone - no mention of Wifi.

*That* would be an expensive way to get an iPod.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, the iPhone may continue working even if you cancel the service, but the real problem is that if you ever need to restore it, you need to go through the activation wizard again from scratch, which of course won't work if you don't have an active AT&T account to activate it against.

There are some rumours about that you can force the activation wizard into offering your a pre-paid plan by failing the credit check portion of the activation, although you would still need to have a valid U.S. address and credit card to assign to the account.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually, the iPhone may continue working even if you cancel the service, but the real problem is that if you ever need to restore it, you need to go through the activation wizard again from scratch, which of course won't work if you don't have an active AT&T account to activate it against.
nobody know for sure (no software update yet from Apple) but it look like the activation is done only once; thereafter the iphone is a standalone device. I don't think Apple would have you throught the activation too often...

·
Registered
368 Posts
nobody know for sure (no software update yet from Apple) but it look like the activation is done only once; thereafter the iphone is a standalone device. I don't think Apple would have you throught the activation too often...
No, if you do a "Restore" on the iPhone (ie, to return it to factory settings), you do need to go through the activation wizard again. This would make some sense, since you're wiping the iPhone and returning it to its factory settings.

I don't know what happens with software updates, but since you're not actually erasing anything on it, you'd probably be okay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts