Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this because Safari is slower that molasses going uphill on a cold day for me...both in launching and loading pages. :mad:

It is nowhere near as fast as the version Steve demonstrated at MacWorld Expo and, for the record, my G4 800MHz is no slouch. ;)

So...please sound off, cuz I want to know if I am alone on this or whether I should be sending this in as a "bug" for Apple to try and address in a later release.

I mean...IE is faster for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
No, no, no....

Something has gone wrong somewhere.

Safari is fast.

Try a couple of simple things, I have not investigated all the programing ins and outs of Safari yet but these are the simple things.

Empty Cache... [In the Safari Menu]

And Clear History [in the History Menu - at Bottom]

Don;t use any of the many Safari Enhancers available out there on the net. Remember this is Beta software, hacking beta is bound to produce over all funkiness.

You could always try the update prebinding type of stuff, and repair permissions as they have always helped me after installing software.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
VertiGoGo wrote:
I ask this because Safari is slower that molasses going uphill on a cold day for me...both in launching and loading pages.

Really? Weird. I've been using Safari since it came out, and it's been nothing but speedy[1]. The only time I've noticed a slowdown is if I'm trying to launch Safari while Mac OS X is still sorting itself out after logging in.

Hmmm, how much RAM do you have?

So...please sound off, cuz I want to know if I am alone on this or whether I should be sending this in as a "bug" for Apple to try and address in a later release.

It might be worth submitting a bug about it. You might have some sort of weird hardware combination that's triggering the slowdown (if it isn't something obvious like RAM).

[1] PowerBook 667 w. 512MB RAM

·
Registered
237 Posts
Safari slow for me?

Nope. Not on my main Mac (Dual 1GHz) yes I know... but neither on my stock Cube (450Mhz/384MB) nor my 667Mhz/512MB Powerbook.

I've really enjoyed the performance of Safari.

So what's making Safari slow on your computer? Very little RAM left? (But that would only slow down launching as things get written to disk). Network slow? Very possibly. A well written browser isn't going to do much if the server it's talking to is slow.

Have you tried the "Activity" menu item? It shows what has been loaded and the size of each and other such metrics.

John

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am on an 800MHz eMac with 256MD RAM. This is the standard issue from Apple. I have done nothing "funky" to Safari :D and I am just generally disappointed with the speed so far. I still use it instead of IE, but I just wish this thing was speedy.

Something else I have noticed on ehMac is that whenever I put an emoticon in a message, the cursor suddenly goes to the top of my post. This is also odd.

Anyhow...I have emptied the cache and killed the history. This has not fixed my issue. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
One thing you may want to try if you have not already done so is getting tinker tools and disabling font smoothing. I have had problems getting into my hotmail. It tells me my password is wrong. Also have problems with ebay.ca wont let me sign in my profile. I still use IE because I like using quartz extreme and I can disbale it in IE but still use it in OSX. If my hotmail worked I would use it becuase I find it much quicker then IE.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Safari is super fast for me.

Last night, I had to use IE for a site and I thought it was really slow becasue I got used to Safari speeds already. The funny thing is that I thought IE was fast before. I don't think I can ever go back to IE now.

I have an iBook 600 with Videotron cable internet access. I can't wait to get my 17" iMac...

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Safari has been great, and I've found that their are a few sites that seem to slow down occasionally for no apparent reason, and emptying the cache fixes it. So super speedy on my end!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'm finding Safari super fast. I've not experienced any slowdown as some have mentioned. I haven't played around with it either. The only thing I do regularly is empty the cache.

There have been a few glitches with a couple of sites that I visit but overall to say I'm pleased with Safari would be an understatement.

I'm using a G4/400 with 960 megs of RAM.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I too find Safari to be the speediest of the browsers (Beats Chimera by a few ticks) However, launching an App and using it are two different things.

Launching any of my browsers doesn't show any real difference on my work machine (DP 1GHz) but It's definitely faster on my G4/450. I think the faster machines will be hard to notice as we are talking the difference between a partial bounce.

On my G4 450, Safari takes under 2, Chimera squeaks just over 2 and IE takes about 5.

Loading pages, I find Safari to be faster, however, this is mostly due to the constant refreshing IE does (Chimera is pretty quick too, so it's minimal difference from what I can tell)

Über-Techy Neil Yates' Envy News site, in IE seems to refresh upwards of 8 times (as different parts load and redraw, then redraw and reformat the page while elements load) taking a whopping 27 seconds to load versus Safari's loading of it all in one shot and taking a mere 12 seconds to load.

Your mileage may vary, based on your internet connection and traffic volume of the page-loading time.

But the numbers are reasonably consistant on multiple retries.

The weird smilies cursor reset (which also happens using the UBB code buttons alot) is a bug/quirk Apple is still working on (Safari is still in beta, after all)

You can fool some sites using the Safari Enhancer which, among other things, adds in a Preference that allows you to change how web sites "view" Safari. Fool them into thinking you are using IE and the erroneous javascript errors on many pages and sites stops happening (because the site looks for browser type and unknown are considered "unsafe".

Safari is also VERY compliant for Web Standards. If you don't believe me, believe this grumpy cow...

She's definitely an expert.

Anyway. me hungry. me go now.

:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts