Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Is Panther (OS 10.3) Priced To High?

• Yes, it's priced to high and no way will i pay that much $ for it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you feel $179.00 is too much for Apple to be charging for the "Panther" OS10.3 upgrade?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
$179.00 is a tiny bit high.. how do they pick these numbers?

$100 would have been great, $150 is acceptable...

But I don't really mind the $179 since I will be going from OS9...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
MS Windows XP Home Edition: $299.00
MS Windows XP Home upgrade $149.00
MS Windows XP Professional $499.00
MS Windows XP Pro upgrade $299.00
(Note: Bilingual Canadians and Canadian Businesses who need a multilanguage OS must use XP Pro).

MS Windows XP Pro 5-user $2495.00
(No consumer 5-user license available; above is your only option: buy 5 retail packages)

MS Windows 2000 Professional $479.00
MS Windows 2000 Pro upgrade (NT only) $329.00

MS Windows 98SE $289.00
MS Windows 98SE upgrade $139.00
(Win98 are current prices; will not be eligible for upgrade pricing on Longhorn OS due circa 2005).

RedHat Linux EnterpriseWS (desktop/client users Basic Edition, retail box, 12-month support) $US 179.00
RH EnterpriseWS (desktop/client, Standard Edition, retail box, 12-month support) $US 299.00
RH Enterprise, unsupported: free d/l

Apple Jaguar $199.00
Apple Panther $179.00
Apple Panther 5-license family pack $279.00
Apple Panther 5-license commercial/business $895.00 (5 retail packages)

Apple Panther Server; unlimited client license $1399.00

Apple System 7.5 free download
Apple OSX developer tools: free (d/l or with retail OS)

I think that says it all, but I might add that people buy the 5-user family pack despite there being no software registration keys on any MacOS, even though Apple has shown (Final Cut Pro, for example) that the MacOS allows easy implementation of strict, copy-resistant registration keys.

According to Microsoft's conventional wisdom, wiothout strict impedments to piracy, Apple should only be able to sell one copy of Panther worldwide.

Now, I think you could make an arguement that ALL software is priced too high; but in context with current pricing practices, I don't think Apple charges too much at all; the retail 10.3 package is less than the OEM cost for WinXP Pro.

[ October 09, 2003, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Registered
133 Posts
It really depends how you look at it. It is funny with us Mac users-- with OSX, it seems like we are all prepared to shell out now close to $200 a year for an OS upgrade. Meanwhile the average Windows home user basically never upgrades their OS-- and definitely never pays for it.

I'm not complaining-- I have been totally happy with Jaguar and how much it improved performance on my G3. I'm hoping for more of the same from Panther.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I only think that it's priced too high since I JUST purchased a New Mac desktop AND a new Powerbook all within the last month and I can't take advantage of a Free or reduced upgrade.

But what can I do but b*tch about it.

here's to you Apple

( love my machines though :D )

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Look, a few things to keep in mind here:

1. The free lunch days of System 7 and System 8 are gone.
2. Apple is committed to 1 major new release of OS X every year
3. You get free updates to the current release through the year
4. NOBODY is forcing you to upgrade

Apple is constantly improving Mac OS X and adding new and exciting features. This development effort costs money to do. Apple is in the business of making money and their OS is no different now. Apple has finally seen the light that software is a revenue source and not a "freebie" to make the computer run anymore.

If I have to pay $179 or $199 per year to get the latest features that I like or want and it makes my computer go faster then so be it. If you have not experienced Panther then its pretty obvious you can't see the vallue of what $179 gives you.

Go try it when it comes out and you'd better bring your money because you WILL want it.

"Value is remembered long after the money is forgotten"

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If it really does give G3 owners a boost over 10.2 then yes,totally worth it.
Really looking forward to that! My iMac could use a good boost. ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was doing the sell to Mrs. Script Kiddie to convince her that it was OK for me to shell out for the Panther family pack. Her reply:
"But what are we going to do with the old one [Jaguar]?

Translation: "no". :(

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
One of the fundamental tenets of business is that you price your goods according to what the market will allow. After reading the poll, my sense is that most are willing to pay the piper for this upgrade. Granted, fewer of us are happy about the price tag, but that seems to be mitigated by the improvements and new features in 10.3

Compare this with what Microsoft did when then released Win98 and ME. Each of these amounted to little more than a patch to fix a lousy OS...and most of the key add-on features were available for free when IE 4 was released.

Apple's biggest problem in Canada in the under-valuation of the Canadian dollar. If we were paying US dollar prices for things I have no doubt that we'd think that Apple was pretty competitive. And judging by the recent performance of the Canadian dollar...those days may soon be here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
does anyone know if there will be a "panther for teachers" deal like there was with jaguar?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Man if I could receive a $1.00 for everytime I hear a thread on this topic when Apple releases a NEW OS I would be rich :D

NO!!! $179 is less then I have paid for any OS from Apple in the past. Jaguar cost me more then $179.00

As Canadians with the exchange rate we are FINALLY paying pretty damn close to what our American partners are paying for Panther.

Do I think it is worth the price for what you get? Well that is a whole other topic :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I think the $179 is a little high. $150 sounds better, but the features look to be worth it.

macdoc - I haven't used Panther yet, other then seeing screenshots and seeing the WWDC build in use once.

gordguide - Although the price for getting Windows may be higher, they don't have to upgrade as often and more often then nought users upgrade when they get a new PC because their old one is just too slow. You get more for your money if you buy Windows, as this year alone 39 new "features" have been reported, including the famous Blaster. ;)

MacGenius - I like that quote
It is almost enough reason to but this OS upgrade.

Script Kiddie - Frame it and put it on your wall, you've bagged a big cat ;) Next year you add a Panther to your cat collection.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
MacGenius, I beg to differ with point 4. let's face it; we ARE FORCED -one way or another- to have the latest version of X. Don't try to tell me anyone is still using 10.1! Updates to most other software have a Jag requirement and soon that will change to Panther. So, pay up or drop out.

It's great that X is maturing and everything - but it's hard not to feel that I've somehow been saddled with an involuntary and somewhat expensive subscription.

Another thing - each Apple OS purchase comes with coupons that one would assume were to be used to obtain a discount on subsequent OS releases. Nope.

Can anyone tell me what these coupons are for?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Don't try to tell me anyone is still using 10.1!
Dolwarn is using 10.1.5.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... gordguide - Although the price for getting Windows may be higher, they don't have to upgrade as often and more often then nought users upgrade when they get a new PC because their old one is just too slow. ..."

Windows users often don't upgrade because each new OS runs slower than the last; faster hardware is mandatory to make it useable while paid upgrade, compatible, bloated versions application software are needed as well. I don't see any reason why OSX 10.3 versions of an application would require a paid upgrade. Still, WinXP sells briskly in retail box versions.

In each case, upgrading an OS on my Mac machines resulted in a faster machine, even when I ran a Performa 5200 for 5 years. I will concede that you need sufficent RAM to do an OS upgrade (same as Windows) but I found 48MB is plenty for OS9.1 and a 603e-based CPU.

I'm not convinced that Wintel users don't want to upgrade the OS; almost everyone I know who runs a 600Mhz~1.2Ghz PC has by now bought XP at retail, and the main thing that kept them from doing it as soon as it was released was the cost. Studies consistently show WinTel users run and buy fewer programs than Mac users, so if anything price resistance is higher on that platform. Still, they shelled out for it.

I'm not sure OSX 10.1 is a reasonable comparison; it is a brand new OS. Remember MS ended up giving away every copy of Windows prior to 3.0 (3.1 is the stable release). I don't see any compelling reason why Mac users can't use 10.2 for as long as the hardware lasts. Perhaps I should wait until OSXv10.2 crashes, at least once, before I upgrade ;)

As for the cupons, they aren't really for anything, at least when the OS is released. I have used them for a free upgrade to 10.1 and some other thing I can't remember with the ones I got with OS8.

If you bought a boxed version of Jag, you can sell it (it's a full version) or include it with a hardware sale. If money is tight, you've got a pretty easy $30 discount right there, most copies on eBay even this week sell for more than that.

[ October 09, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I know lots of people still using some form of 10.1

In the end, there is going to be a contigent of users who will wait and buy every second release. 10.1 was pretty good but Jag was such an improvement and Panther is just building on what Jag did. Those folks will see the benefits of Panther and decide then.

Yes lots of software requires Jag now. I have 2 programs that won't work in Panther (Audio Hijack Pro and PGP Mail integration) but they're not show stoppers. I'm waiting for the the updates as we speak.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.