Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm not sure if this means my graphics card is pooched or not...

It happens when I'm cutting HD 422 files. I assume that's what's causing it to crash like this. I have about 5 seconds after it starts to save everything or it will just totally just freeze my system.

Usually I get red or black flashes in the canvas screen over my footage before this happens.

YouTube - ‪Something is wrong‬‏

Is that what's going on here? If so, can someone recommend a decent replacement card for me.

If I have to upgrade, I don't want to break the bank, but I'd like to be able to use my 25" monitor as well as a plasma TV (as my playback monitor).

Here are my stats:
Mac Pro (3,1) 2x 3.2 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9880 GT (512 MB)

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really? No one has seen this before?

G

·
Have seen it (or at least something similar) but I don't have any good advice to give you. Have you tried using a new user account? Have you tried re-installing the OS or running from a backed up clone?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tired either of these solutions yet - I was actually hoping it was a hardware issue, reinstalling everything is a real PIA. However I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. If no one else has a solution, I guess I'll try the reinstall...

G

·
Try running under a new user account first I would say. If that doesn't help try the reinstall.

Also have you tried doing any repairs or anything on the current system? I'd try that first (before a new user even) if you haven't already ... sadly those are the steps you have to take to narrow it all down properly :(

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
BYW: Is that the MBP's fans that sound like they're running FULL speed that I hear on your video??

Maybe something's getting overheated???

G

·
BYW: Is that the MBP's fans that sound like they're running FULL speed that I hear on your video??

Maybe something's getting overheated???
His machine is a mac pro, not a macbook pro. That noise is probably just a result of auto-levels for the audio input on the video camera used for recording that.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
ruling out software by the above methods mgeurtin mentioned its probably a video card. only way to know for sure is to borrow a video card from someone else you know works or bring it in somewhere for proper testing. no one can tell you for sure by watching videos on the net

i would try resetting PRAM and re-seating the video card first though before doing any of that malarky

G

·
Yep re-seating card and zapping PRAM are good things to try as well.

Also is it happening just with that specific codec (ProRes 422?) or everything ... only in FCP or other apps too?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a permissions repair, then did a RAM test, which came back negative for issues (whew). Since either of those operations, things have gone smoothly, however, I haven't been tasking the machine all that much. I'll try reseating the card if it happens again, hopefully it's just an air-flow situation and that will help.

My fans run all the time though, I try to keep the internal temp of my machine at around 28 degrees Celsius... Working in ProRes seems to tax the machine heavily - however, it usually holds up pretty well.

Maybe with the new FCP these issues will go away? (better resource management int he software?) Maybe I'll get to download that from the app store on Monday???? :)

G

·
ProRes really shouldn't hit the machine all that hard, that's kind of the point of it. The drives yes as the files are large, but they should be fairly easy to decode and not tax the CPU -- which is why they are the best choice for HD editing in the first place. When you pop it open to reseat the card you might check that none of the air paths are obstructed either and that it's not all clogged up with dust or anything. Not likely to be the cause of the crashing problems but since you're in there it's a good idea to do all the maintenance anyway!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts