Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been waiting to buy a Black MacBook until after the WWDC but it seems they've already updated the MacBooks, so do I continue to wait? Is it worth it or are these the updates to suffice for 2007?

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Hi, I've been waiting to buy a Black MacBook until after the WWDC but it seems they've already updated the MacBooks, so do I continue to wait? Is it worth it or are these the updates to suffice for 2007?
Who knows? Apple could come out with a magic laptop that replaces your car and spouse, too.

Really, the best time to buy is after a later revision update. This is it. The black MacBook is not a new offering, and it's just had a speedbump. You could wait until September or December or infinity and buy the next one, or you could be using a black MacBook in a few days or weeks. There will always be an upgrade; nobody who will tell you knows when; what will you use until that time?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
That shared mem video is sub par for mac, and I am still surprised they didnt bump it with the last...er... bump.
How so? Doesn't it really depend on what you use the Mac for? The MB's are clearly not for gamers, but on most other counts they perform well. They are far from sub-par for the tasks and market they target. Some benchmarks:

http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/firstlooks/macbookbench/index.php

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
How so? Doesn't it really depend on what you use the Mac for? The MB's are clearly not for gamers, but on most other counts they perform well. They are far from sub-par for the tasks and market they target.
Exactly, I'm ordering a Macbook for my daughter soon. She doesn't play any games (except perhaps Klondike or Shanghai) and the Macbook is perfect for her. In fact she has friends who have Macbooks, and she would dearly love to have a portable just like they have.

In the absence of hard core gaming, it's a completely reasonable choice. The recent upgrades make it even better.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
That $600 price difference could buy extra RAM, AppleCare, external monitor, software, and more, making it a much better system than a MBP.
Yes, good points.
A year ago I purchased a used last gen iBook (previous owner had it for a month) and for a smallish sum added Applecare, a second monitor, backup drive, iCurve, KB, mouse etc for my kid, who was starting at Ryerson. She does not game, and the iBook has been fantastic for her.

The MB is a great choice for a student or home office person, and offers far superior performance to the iBook, and even keeps up to the MBP in certain PS tasks.

I suspect that the expected MBP updates will separate the two machines a bit more in performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
okay gaming aside.

you can opt out the glossy screen, which if you do any work with print is pretty much essential, if you work on large photoshop files, opening a 300 meg file will cripple ram and video all at once, as both will desperately strive to swap out and write to hard drive.

More room to upgrade memory, ability to power the external monitors without lagging for anything over a 20 inch resolution, firewire 800, larger screen...

I guess, I think the MBP is the cat's Meow, there is certainly nothing wrong with the MB, but even a 64 meg nvidia or ati chip would make it more desirable as a road warrior machine.

goes to sit in corner.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I guess, I think the MBP is the cat's Meow, there is certainly nothing wrong with the MB, but even a 64 meg nvidia or ati chip would make it more desirable as a road warrior machine.
Well, yes, it is. And the advantages you point out are not to be sneered at. It all comes back to what you need the machine to do - and of course your total budget ....;)

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
nice site!
Why thank you....and right back at ya!

Our site is undergoing some significant changes and will be re-launched next week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts