Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beaugeste
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an Emac running 10.3 and an Imac running 10.5. Is it possible to do a "pc anywhere" type of set-up so that the Emac will run a program on the Imac?
My son has the Emac +10.3 and has a music program that requires a G5 +10.4 (although it will probably run on a G4). I have the G5 Imac with 10.4.
I don't want to buy a copy of 10.4 for his Emac when 10.5 is just around the corner....

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
It is possible to use a VNC or PCAnywhere type program to use the eMac to view a program running on the iMac... however it will still be running on the iMac and using the iMac's hardware resources. It will not be 'running' on the eMac.

What this also means is that the program will use the iMac's input and output devices, including MIDI interfaces and sound output devices.

Can you be more specific what the program is and what the intentions are?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
The program is Cubebase, similar to GarageBand. My son uses it with a small M-Audio keyboard/mixer.
So where do I get VNC server + Chicken? Is that a program?
I'd say running cubase over vnc might make you suicidal. Its got a noticable lag even on fast machines, or at least it did whenever I used it.

Both programs are free and they should be free and google should find a current place to download them.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I would say that between the time lag, the confusion over hardware connections (I think, but I am not sure, that Son will still have to use the MIDI keyboard that is physically cabled to the iMac, so he will still have to be positioned near the iMac), and the possibility for increased latency in the Cubase software due to the VNC background process... this remote idea should be abandoned.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I would say that between the time lag, the confusion over hardware connections (I think, but I am not sure, that Son will still have to use the MIDI keyboard that is physically cabled to the iMac, so he will still have to be positioned near the iMac), and the possibility for increased latency in the Cubase software due to the VNC background process... this remote idea should be abandoned.
i wholeheartedly agree

take an accom's razor approach
the simplest solution is usually the right one

Tiger DVD for sale on ebay CDN $53 so far and 2 hours to go at time of post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts