Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have El Capitan and mac works great. No issues

However, there is a program I need for work and I can only run it on 10.14+

Can I run two OS's on a single mac? I have a late 2009 Mac Pro so plenty of room to add
another hard drive.

Its a silly reason to keep capitan, butI have some older games on Capitan that I fear may not work if I upgrade.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Can I run two OS's on a single mac? I have a late 2009 Mac Pro so plenty of room to add
another hard drive.

No problem with that Mac. I have always run multiple Mac OS versions on most of my Macs and still do with my 2011 iMac that has Snow Leopard 10.6.8, Mavericks 10.9.5 and Sierra 10.12 that all Boot and run from their separate partitions.

You have the option of using an internal drive or partitioning one of your current drives or even using an external drive. Any one of those would work for your Mac Pro.

By the way: you could always check roaring apps for compatibility and the Mac OS version you are planning to use:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
17,745 Posts
Not sure which OS was the game changer but more recent versions of OS-X require a SSD drive.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Not sure which OS was the game changer but more recent versions of OS-X require a SSD drive.

Not exactly true, but maybe require a newer format.

And the newer format does work much better and faster I understand on an SSD rather than a spinner HDD.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. My set up is as follows
Internal drives: MAIN SSD (500GB) - newest one
240GB older sad from my old mac
1TB storage drive

I think I have room for another drive. Thanks so much for the info folks, I really appreciate it. If I can
get the newest version of mac os on another drive and keep existing set up this will be wonderful!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
1TB storage drive

I think I have room for another drive. Thanks so much for the info folks, I really appreciate it. If I can
get the newest version of mac os on another drive and keep existing set up this will be wonderful!!!
You may want to be careful about formatting HFS and APFS volumes on the same drive. I had an authorized Apple reseller partition the internal Fusion drive on my iMac, with one volume formatted HFS running El Capitan 11.6, the other formatted APFS running Mojave 14.6. The result was a disaster that the reseller and three very long phone sessions with supervisory tier Apple support people were unable to resolve. The two formats on the same drive didn’t play nice at all – whichever volume I was working in, there were frequent screen freezes, weird pixelation, cursor freezes, shutdowns and restarts. After several failures, we eventually were able to erase the contents of the APFS volume, but were unable to delete it and un-partition/restore the Fusion drive to its original state. El Cap now runs problem-free on the HFS partition, and the other partition remains empty, unformatted and undeletable -- I ignore it. In my case, the problems may have been because it’s a Fusion drive -- Apple says they can be partitioned once, but tech people I’ve talked to say that can sometimes be problematic, especially if you mix formats. So I now run Mojave 14.6 on an APFS formatted external SSD with a USB3.1 connection to the iMac, and all’s well.

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
I do this all the time, using a single partitioned drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1TB storage drive

Like others have said use an SSD, and use a separate dedicated drive to install Mojave.

A couple of more things. If you let Mojave convert its start up disk to APFS you won’t be able to see it when you’re in 10.11. If you want to boot from 10.11 into 10.14 you’ll either have to do the Option key trick, or already had 10.14 chosen in Startup Disk when you were in 10.14. Conversely if you want it to always boot to 10.11 without having to use the Option key, when you’re in 10.14 choose 10.11.

You can have it not convert to APFS. You’ll need the full installer to be in the Applications folder. The small stub Apple downloads from the App Store won’t work. Here’s a link on how to do it. No APFS. If you need the full installer you can get it here. Full Installer. The link for this is also in the link above. The instructions are really clear on how to do it. It’s legit BTW.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I would recommend going virtual with the OS that is needed for one app. You can install via Parallels and run them both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
30,863 Posts
HFS and APFS I do not think are compatible on a single partitioned drive but I could be wrong.
So High Sierra and anything up to Catalonia should co-exist but not Sierra.
Big Sur ?? here be dragons....lots of promise ...can't advise on dual systems on one partitioned drive.

I suspect if you tried say Sierra and Mojave ...one would not see the other volume depending on what you booted into. APFS was a huge overturn of the back room for Macs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts