Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a graphic designer, my mac is my life. When a new OS comes out I never upgrade right away due to some issues that always come up with software etc.

When 10.6 came out there was quite a bit of talk about major font issues so I held back. Have those been fixed with recent updates?

I have a MacBook Pro, running the full Adobe CS4, Suitcase Fusion 2 (managing hundreds of fonts), Microsoft Office (entourage for email) all on a daily basis.

I just need to know these are all stable before I update.

If one of my smaller software packages don't function I'm fine, but the above must be perfect right after upgrading as I can't afford downtime.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
As a graphic designer, my mac is my life. When a new OS comes out I never upgrade right away due to some issues that always come up with software etc.

When 10.6 came out there was quite a bit of talk about major font issues so I held back. Have those been fixed with recent updates?

I have a MacBook Pro, running the full Adobe CS4, Suitcase Fusion 2 (managing hundreds of fonts), Microsoft Office (entourage for email) all on a daily basis.

I just need to know these are all stable before I update.

If one of my smaller software packages don't function I'm fine, but the above must be perfect right after upgrading as I can't afford downtime.

Thanks,
There is a bug with 10.6 and CS 4 ...
We had previously diagnosed that OSX 10.6 was not handling the "Open with" preference correctly. It appeared to reading only the file extension and ignoring the embedded creator code within our bit-map and line art files. That diagnosis was subsequently confirmed by an Adobe Tech Note.

This mean that the historically well used file extension ".eps" which is applicable to BOTH Photoshop images and Illustrator vector art cannot be distinguished one from the other.

Adobe InDesign, in particular, relies on proper file identification for its "Edit Original" function in Its "Links" panel. In OSX 10.6 we can only set Photoshop or Illustrator as the "Open with" preference, thus rendering massive inventories of ".eps" files inaccessible through that critical work panel.

As a consequence of this omission in OSX 10.6 designers have suffered a very significant loss of productivity.

but there is a make shift fix :
Files may not open in original authoring application (Mac OS X 10.6)
but the real problem is :
Apple has been asking Adobe not to use resource fork management since 2000 because they were getting away from it.
In Windows, Adobe does not use it.. but in Apple OS, Adobe insists that it is an Apple responsibility, it is a minor fix with an update that Adobe refuses to do..
but Apple asked that you file a complaint with Adobe..

Good Luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. My time is worth money. I can't afford to have my Mac go down or struggle with font conflicts or other stuff that only wise techies can figure out. I upgraded to Leopard over a year after release. What's the rush?

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Unless the new OS comes on a new machine (and, even then, we never purchase a 1.0 machine), we're generally late adopters for the same reason.

It's busy season for us right now, I don't have the time or inclination to see if every action, plugin or font in PS or even other software works with the OS upgrade.

·
Premium Member
30,998 Posts
We are advising most pro clients to wait and most consumers to jump.

Video users tho with heavy rendering may find the few hiccups worth the price of admission.

This might be a good thread to cover off various categories and who is successful and who is not.

Personally I'm waiting on MailAppetizer but that's a minor thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no rush, but there is always a desire for having the newest stuff :)

I found articles online about font issues, but none saying they were fixed, so I was posting to see if there were any improvements. The more info the better! Thanks for your posts guys/gals/others. I look forward to hearing you experiences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts