Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this discussed much, but it seems to me that the #1 glaring omission in the design of the iPhone is its inability to make calls over wifi. What a waste! Great device in most other ways (though allowing open-source development would be a dream come true!), this is the main thing keeping me from getting one. I already have a Cingular, er I mean AT&T account and will be in the States shortly. I just don't see the point if I can't use the wifi for this. Even T-Mobile offers this service with a couple of phones.

Of course I might change my mind if I could load MAX on the little sucker and control my gear with the multi-touch interface via bluetooth.... hmm.....

Anyone else have opinions on this?

Cheers all,

dg

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
so why would the iPhone not be ready for "primetime"? You are referring to a feature that's not even mainstream. How about the other features it has that have raised the bar? I am writing this from my iphone and simply put, it has replaced my laptop and desktop for 90% of my internet surfing. I'd say that alone makes it ready for primetime. Not sur if you have ever used one for more than a couple days but I would love to hear an opinion from those that have.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
" If you’re willing to pay $10 a month on top of a regular T-Mobile voice plan, you get a special cellphone. When you’re out and about, it works like any other phone; calls eat up your monthly minutes as usual.

But when it’s in a Wi-Fi wireless Internet hot spot, this phone offers a huge bargain: all your calls are free. You use it and dial it the same as always — you still get call hold, caller ID, three-way calling and all the other features — but now your voice is carried by the Internet rather than the cellular airwaves. "

T-Mobile Hot Spot @ Home

is what I'm talking about. Given that the iPhone has WIFI this seems a natural advance.

I guess I'll have a look at it, but maybe iPhone v.2 is what I'm waiting for!

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
If that's a specific feature you are looking for than maybe it's not for you. However, it does so many of the other things so much better that it's hard to dismiss it as not being ready for primetime. I don't know if Apple would even add this feature as they are getting a cut from the service revenue. Unless Skype became major Apple partner. Besides, the hacks out there now for apps are impressively growing. I'm sure someone is already working on it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm not sure I get why everybody wants calling over wi-fi? In Toronto at least, Wi-Fi isn't this magic blanket where it's readily available everywhere. Yes it's around, but usually it's locked, or you have to pay. Calling over wi-fi would quite literally be useless for me.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I haven't seen this discussed much, but it seems to me that the #1 glaring omission in the design of the iPhone is its inability to make calls over wifi.
Ummm....that's cause it makes calls just fine over the cellular network.

Cel companies aren't in the business of providing ways for you to make free calls.
this is the main thing keeping me from getting one.
That and the fact it's not available in Canada. :)
I just don't see the point if I can't use the wifi for this.
Then the iPhone isn't the phone for you.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Personally, I don't think calling over WiFi is that big of a deal. For me, the more important issues are:

-Cannot select, copy, cut, or paste any information
-Lack of task management (ie. where do my iCal tasks go?)
-Lack of categories
-No search capabilities for internal data
-A notes engine that literally has the same functionality as a physical note pad
-No file management
-Difficult and a tad expensive to get up and running in Canada (factor in the travel to the US, state tax plus GST and PST, costs to unlock the phone, and costs to get a Rogers line for it if not already done).

Mind you, for a first generation device, the iPhone is ready for prime time. Unlike other phones, the iPhone is designed to be improved over time. What makes a Mac is more so its software, and the iPhone is running the same thing as all other Apple products (other than the iPod), and updates to address the above issues are sure to come, without the need for new hardware.

I would be willing to bet that all the software-related issues above will magically become fixed the moment Leopard hits the shelves.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not sure I get why everybody wants calling over wi-fi? In Toronto at least, Wi-Fi isn't this magic blanket where it's readily available everywhere. Yes it's around, but usually it's locked, or you have to pay. Calling over wi-fi would quite literally be useless for me.
I travel, and every hotel I stay at has free wifi, when I visit my friends & relatives they all have wifi. I won't have to pay for calls (cell or land) if I can use Skype or similar service. My family all use Skype now.

If you don't travel and/or don't have ready access to free wifi, then you can use the cell network for calls & use the iPod features. Just an aside - you don't want to use the edge data connection for surfing unless your company picks up your cell bill, as Rogers data charges are highway robbery.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I travel, and every hotel I stay at has free wifi, when I visit my friends & relatives they all have wifi. I won't have to pay for calls (cell or land) if I can use Skype or similar service. My family all use Skype now.
Yeah, but you must spend some time away from the hotel?!? How would you make wifi calls on the bus, or in a taxi cab? When you visit other businesses or friends - do they invite you to use their wifi? How about schools or universities - I can see them complaining about abuse of their wifi.

Like emalen, I don't see wifi being there yet. It may be okay for a small niche of people, but definitely not for most people.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Don't they have WiFi Skype phones now? You should get one of those. It's silly for Apple to make a Skype phone - especially since Skype to land line calls sounds so terrible. Not a good user experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts