Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just not a feature of this message board?

I'm just used to hitting the "quote" button on the message I wish to quote and then getting on with my message - so now I'm copying and pasting the messages I want to quote then using that:

[q.uote] [/q.uote]

...(without the periods) UBB code to attach the quote stylesheet to the copy right? It's kind of a pain in the rump...

It's got to be here somewhere! EVERY message board has the 'auto-quote' feature! I have to be either dumb or clinically blind... that has to be it...

Anyone?

:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I disagree that EVERY discussion board has that feature. I am a member of many boards and it's not a feature on any of them

Honestly, is it that hard to cut and paste?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Yep. No auto quoting. It sucks. Plus, there's no thread subscription (unless you create the thread -- and even then it's not the default) and the site is the slowest forum I've been to.

Love the content, though

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I disagree that EVERY discussion board has that feature
Okay then, every 'good' forum does. If the forum is a UBB, VBulletin, phpBB or any other high-tech forum, it has the feature. The reason this forum, any other forums may not have it, is because the Admin has manually disabled the feature.

ehMac used to have it, but it was disabled by ehMax because he thought people were "abusing" the feature, like by quoting entire posts rather than just a part, quoting pictures, etc. Of course, the people who do these stupid things obviously don't know how to use a forum properly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I don't frequent any of those forums, so I guess that could explain it.

I always write my own code anyway, I don't use the instant UBB code. I'd much rather type out my A HREF's and IMG SRC's like I have been for almost 10 years.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The auto-quote feature of the board was turned off at the request of the members, I believe. Too many people used it to copy large parts of posts, and there were too many who always used it.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Big massively long post that is 2 or 3 pages long
Really short reply.

It may be a pain to do copy and paste, but its a much smaller pain then having to read the same post 6 or 7 times because it's been quoted in its entirety.

Thread Subscription? That would be nice, but most users won't use it. It's an advanced feature, and as for the slow speed, the PHP accelerator only seems to kick in sometimes. A lot of links are pointing to the slower CGI script instead of the faster PHP script. So if you go to http://www.ehmac.ca/ubb/ultimatebb.php instead of where ehMac.ca defaults to first, you'll find it faster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I visit a few other forums frequently, and they all do have the reply button, but I never use it. I rarely want to quote an entire post anyway, so I just select the appropriate content, copy it, then paste that into quote tags that I type myself.

I don't see what the big deal is. *shrug*

Oh and Lars, you have quite the post count for someone who has such bad things to say about the forum. You COULD just stop coming here, you know.

Or could you...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Oh and Lars, you have quite the post count for someone who has such bad things to say about the forum
Yeah, but see, I don't come or not come here based on whether this forum software has good features disabled or bad features enabled - I come because of the content. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the answer I was looking for would be:

"No it doesn't'"

Thanks.

:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It won't allow you to delete a message either.

That's rather poo.

:confused:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joel on Software: Building Communities with Software
If you take the time to read that entire article, you might see why not only the quote button is gone, but why the thread subscription is not available unless you start the thread.
And a number of other things as well.
Egads Posterboy! I can't think of any other article that I would rather not read...
:rolleyes:

·
peek-a-boo
16,650 Posts
Holy crap. This board flies when you use the php link in comparison. But sometimes when you click a link like the Anything Mac one, it goes back to the cgi link and it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
his board flies when you use the php link in comparison.
Yeah, I know. CGI is the slowest of them all (php, asp, etc).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts